cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup SMB Share on EMC ISILON with BackupExec 14

Lbellefeuille
Level 4

Hello everyone, I have this Emc ISILON NAS that i currently back up with BackupExec using NDMP and i would like to stop using NDMP because of the limitation of this protocol. Currently the NAS is added to the media server through a user define selection and it is recognise as an NDMP device. The ISILON alors support Smb shares (that's how my windows servers write to it) but everytime i tried to add it to the media server with a unc path (\\ISILON\Share) it is still recognised as an NDMP server and i cannot browse the share folder. In short i would like to get rid of NDMP and backup the Isilon like a standard (like a windows server) smb server, any idea on the best way to do this ? Note: I have all the necessary licences and a dedicated media server. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you don't want to use NDMP to backup your device, then you have to turn off the NDMP option on your device.  This is mandatory.  You cannot have the NDMP option turned on on your device and backup the device using SMB.

You don't have to uninstall the NDMP licence on BE.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Have you uninstalled the NDMP license if it is no longer needed, and looked at whether turning NDMP off on the Isilon is possible?

Hello Craig,

No i have not uninstalled the licence because it's a production server and i will still need the licence for some future restore. Should i both, unsinstall the licence and turn off NDMP on the Isilon to be able to create an user define "smb server " ? 

Let's say for instance that i have an other BackupExec server which don't have the NDMP option installed, will i be able to add the user define "smb server" share if i don't turn off NDMP on isilon ? 

I am asking this because i don't have a lab environment to tests this but i can "borrow" an other backup exec production server for a while...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you don't want to use NDMP to backup your device, then you have to turn off the NDMP option on your device.  This is mandatory.  You cannot have the NDMP option turned on on your device and backup the device using SMB.

You don't have to uninstall the NDMP licence on BE.

Ok thanks. I have to get rid of NDMP so i will go forward with your advice, turn off NDMp on the NAS, adjust the policies and do some tests with SMB.

Was your test backup successful? could you recover the data? what was the performance like?

Sorry for the delay, yes the test backup was successful and i am able to backup/restore data but compare to NDMP, the throughput is about 6 times slower but since i am able to use the accelerator it gives me an acceptable performance.