cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Sets disappeared after deleting LTO8 Library

shaptala
Level 4

We decided to upgrade BackupExec to new version. However we decided not to move old SQL database, since it's huge and very slow. We decided to leave old server offline and use only to see which files are on which tape. If we need to recover some file - we first look on old server on which tape it is. Then - take this tape - insert it to LTO on NEW server, make catalog job and make a restore on NEW server.

However while deleting LTO8 from old server, retargeting jobs to local storage, putting old server offline - on some point old backup server "forgot" about it's backup sets and we can not now look - which data is on which tape.

How to make old server recall - which data is on which tape? This is critical, because we have about 80 tapes and making catalog operation on them will take ages.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

Did anyone delete or rename the BE Install Path\Catalogs folder. That is the place where all backup set catalog files exist. We make entries of the info in these catalog files into the BEDB and that is how console shows the view.
The info about the media i.e. tape can be re-saved in BEDB by running an Inventory but if the catalog files are not present on disk then the sets would not show up. You will need to run Inventory on all Tapes and then catalog it. In global settings of BE, make sure to keep use media in sequence and use storage media based catalog selected when running the catalog.
--------------------------

If catalog files are deleted and a backup of it exists, that can be restored and used to get the backup set view back. A service restart will be needed for BE services to read the files in catalogs folder

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Gurvinder

Did anyone delete or rename the BE Install Path\Catalogs folder. That is the place where all backup set catalog files exist. We make entries of the info in these catalog files into the BEDB and that is how console shows the view.
The info about the media i.e. tape can be re-saved in BEDB by running an Inventory but if the catalog files are not present on disk then the sets would not show up. You will need to run Inventory on all Tapes and then catalog it. In global settings of BE, make sure to keep use media in sequence and use storage media based catalog selected when running the catalog.
--------------------------

If catalog files are deleted and a backup of it exists, that can be restored and used to get the backup set view back. A service restart will be needed for BE services to read the files in catalogs folder

@Gurvinder that's right. Long time ago - we run out of space on drive C and moved Catalog of backup do drive D. Of course I forgot about it. When decommissioning server we disconnected disk D and backup sets disappeared. We didn't delete disk D, so after connecting it back - backup sets appeared again.

Thank you man)) All the best to you! Where should I send beer to?

Gurvinder

:) Thanks for the offer. You can have one from my side ! Cheers 
Glad it worked and you got the backup sets back.