cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Speed

robmisz
Level 3

Hello,

We have been having issues with backup speeds to backup-to-disk folders. Our current speeds to our folder have been around 400MB/min. The folder is located on a local partitioned drive. We are using advanced file option however this is what we use when we backup to our LTO device which is connected via SCSI. The speeds were getting when we backup up to the device average 800MB/min.The backup to the folder initially starts around 1200MB/min but after 5 mins drops to about 400. I would think that the speeds to a local drive would be faster then backing up to a device. I increased the maximum size for backup-to-disk files and I selected allocate the maximum size. I also selected software type for compression.  Is there anything that I could do to increase speed?

5 REPLIES 5

Justin_K
Level 3
I think that the speed has greatly gone down overall.  I backup to a network attached LTO2 tape library.  We are backing up about 900gb with BE11d it took about 23 hours and now with BE12 it takes almost 36 hours. 

Something has certainly changed in BE12 but I haven't been able to figure out what yet.

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified

robmisz wrote:

I would think that the speeds to a local drive would be faster then backing up to a device.

This is certainly not always the case in my experience. Tape drives can be fast, and disks can be relatively slow (once you've added in factors like fragmentation).
Have you checked the fragmentation on the drive where you have your B2D folders?

robmisz
Level 3
The disk is defragmented once a week

Bryan_Ricke
Level 3
That seems really, really slow. We back up 900GB of data in a little over 9 hours every night from about 23 servers. 

Dell 2650 and 2850 Power Edge servers with Adaptec 160 SCSI cards
Quantum SDLT 600 Tape Drive with 160 SCSI card

Do you have Symantec Antivirus running?

robmisz
Level 3
We are not running symantec anti-virus...