cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Stopped and Running Same Time

rickyrak
Level 4

Hello Everyone -

I am having a very complicated issue that I cannot decide is hardware or software.   I have a backup job which runs.  BEX reports the job completed successfully, however when i check my server to monitor the next job, the first job completed (the one that reported completed successfully) is queued and the tape is still shown in my tape library with the green arrow (running)

It seems as though the job has completed but the tape library is not aware the job has completed.

This issue has been on going and is difficult to check, because the backup job which runs first is a 9 hour job.  I am wondering if anyone has a solution or can help me do some troubleshooting to determine what the issue is.

Thanks!

27 REPLIES 27

rickyrak
Level 4

Hi there -

I have gotten to that part.   Now the only remaining issue is that on ALL slots, they are shown empty.   There are tapes in the slots, but still they show empty.

I am running an inventory on the library hoping that BEX will update my list of tapes.   Is there anything else i should do to fix the empty slot issue now that all drivers are correct ?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Just a side-question, but is your media server a virtual server or a physical server?

That aside, if your hardware manufacturer has a diagnostic utility, now's the time to download it and run it against the library to rule out hardware issues. You need to stop the BE services before doing this though as they lock access to the drive (specifically the hardware service!).

Some other troubleshooting steps to take:

1. Check and make sure the cables are all securely connected (SCSI cables). Reseat them if necessary.

2. Check for any warning lights on the library.

3. Reseat the tapes.

4. Check for any errors on the SCSI card.

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Before running the inventory, did you right-click the library under Backup Exec - Devices & choose " Initialize " ?

rickyrak
Level 4

Trying now for the initialize.  I left my inventory running last evening and after 15 hours, it was still inventorying.

I have checked the hardware itself and everything is working fine and all is OK, but still I have problems with the library tapes not showing in BEX

rickyrak
Level 4

Just as a communication test, I placed my library offline by manually offlining it on the library interface.   I did this while BEX was running the initialize (which at this point has been running for 2 hours) and BEX is still running the initialize and not showing the drive offline.

From this test, I assume that BEX and my library are not talking to each other properly.   Any other reccomendations are welcomed.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...an Initialize doesn't take hours...it's normally a couple of seconds which indicates an issue with:

1. Tape library itself - get hold of your manufacturer's diagnostic utility and run it against the library to rule out hardware issues.

2. SCSI card problem - check your server's hardware monitoring tools to see if you have issues (ie. HP's System Management Homepage); also check the Event Viewer and make sure nothing shows up there;

3. SCSI cable break/damage which can affect comms between the server and the library.

rickyrak
Level 4

Ive re-seated all cables and even run diagnostics with my library technician on the phone looking at the logs.   ALl the hardware is checking out to be OK.  Now I am again being pointed back to software.

ANy other suggestions?

rickyrak
Level 4

Finally I have initialized everything and all the tapes are showing and everythying is good!

Now I run my backup jobs and I am right back where I started!!!   The tape is in the drive shown in use and no jobs are running.....

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR