Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Strategy help

IdrisEzzy
Level 4
Partner Accredited

We have 5 servers that we want to take backup of,

we have bought Backupexec 2012, we have installed it on windows server 2003 32bit,

now we have two storage devices, Sun Tape based and Netgear disk based,

what we want is to take daily incremental and monthly full on on our tape drives,

and daily incremental and weekly full on our disk based system,

can some one tell me how can I achieve this ???

Thank you very much in advance.....

5 REPLIES 5

nilesh_dhakras
Level 3
Employee

Hi,

From what I understand from your email, you want to keep different statergies for disk and tape storage device. I was curious to know why you would like to keep it that way.

If you have daily incremental and weekly full for BOTH tape and disk storage device, you can setup first backup job of daily incremental and weekly full targetted to the disk drive, and then perform a disk to tape duplicate job daily.

Thanks,

-Nilesh.

IdrisEzzy
Level 4
Partner Accredited

We don't want to change the tape every week but only once a month,

and we want complete one month backup on that.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

what we want is to take daily incremental and monthly full on on our tape drives,

and daily incremental and weekly full on our disk based system,

You would not be able to to do this.  An incremental backup backs up changes that has occured since the last incremental or full backup.  If you do two daily incremental backups, once for your disk-based jobs and once for your tape-based job, then the second incremental backup will only backup changes from the first incremental backup.

If you want the backups to be on both disk and tape, backup to disk first and then duplicate the backups to tape.  You do not have to change the tape.  Just append to the tape when doing the duplication.

nilesh_dhakras
Level 3
Employee

Here is one way to do it:

Job 1: Monthly full + daily incremental to disk, followed by a duplicate job to tape.

This results in following sets: ( F + I1 + I2 + I3 + ...... + I29) On disk which are copied to 

( F + I1 + I2 + I3 + ...... + I29) on tape.

Job 2: Weekly full to disk.

( F1 + F2 + F3 + F4)

Although,  please note that his scheme has obvious disadvantage that, in this scheme, you will end up backing the server twice for a full backup every week. Also, you won't be able to use ( F1 + F2 + F3 + F4) of job 2 along with the incrementals of the job 1. 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Your scheme will not work.  Job2 will reset all the archive bits and will disrupt Job1.  The incremental jobs in  Job1 which is done after full backups F1, F2, F3 and F4 will only backup changes since these backups.  They will not be incremental backups for the monthly full backup any more.

You cannot have 2 full + incremental backup schemes going on at the same time.