cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup TMG with backup Exec 2012

Lakshantha
Level 3

incremental backups fail to backup SQL express databases used for TMG.

My setup as follows,

i'm backingup TMG server which is a VM with Backup Exec 2012 and backup exec identifies the 2 DB's on TMG server as ISARS & MSFW.

TMG server is using builtin SQL express and database recovery model is set to SIMPLE and FULL backup completes successfully.

For the incremental backup i have used DIFFERENTIAL as the method for MS SQL.

Incremental job fails with Final error: 0xe0000363 - The Backup Exec SQL Agent was not used to create the last full, differential, or log backup of this database. You must use the SQL Agent to run a full backup before you can run a differential backup or transaction log backup.

Detail information has this : V-79-57344-867 - The last Full backup of database ISALOG_20120725_FWS_000 was not made by this application. Run a ...

But my FULL backup runs fine.

I have follwed the article TECH58674

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH58674&actp=search&viewlocale=en_U...

When i query the backup method as per the article it shoes as "Backup Exec SQL server agent"

out of ideas at the moment and need help to get this fix.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The problem is that when you run your VM backup it also backs up the SQL database.  You need to run a full SQL backup and any log or incremental backups between VM backups.  See the document below

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH137587

Lakshantha
Level 3

Hi pkh,

i'm not using backup exec to backup VM's and using the simple recovery mode for the DB's.

correct me if i'm wrong but article www.symantec.com/docs/TECH58674 will only apply if i do VM backups and my DB's aren't configured for simple recovery mode. 

Lakshantha
Level 3

one thing i forgot to mention is that we just do a full windows level backup of the TMG VM which includes OS partition, system state and SQL DB's that TMG use.

there's onlly single backup job with Full backup on firday and incrementals on Monday-Thursday.