cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Tape duplicate (Backup Exec 12.5)

Jan_Loos
Level 3

I want to duplicate a tape with data on it.
How can i do this?
How can i bring more tapes with data(example 3x LTO1) on one LTO4 tape?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Jan,

Do you want to duplicate to tape or to disk?
Go into:

1. Job Setup --> (under Backup Tasks) New job to duplicate backup sets
2. Select Duplicate existing backup sets
3. Click on View by Media, and choose the tape/disk image you want to duplicate from.
4. Under Destination, select the device you want to duplicate too.

Using this format, it is going to pick the first free tape in an autoloader/library etc.
You would be able to amalgamate your data onto 1 tape, but set your append period correctly, or it might not work.

Laters!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Hi Jan,

Do you want to duplicate to tape or to disk?
Go into:

1. Job Setup --> (under Backup Tasks) New job to duplicate backup sets
2. Select Duplicate existing backup sets
3. Click on View by Media, and choose the tape/disk image you want to duplicate from.
4. Under Destination, select the device you want to duplicate too.

Using this format, it is going to pick the first free tape in an autoloader/library etc.
You would be able to amalgamate your data onto 1 tape, but set your append period correctly, or it might not work.

Laters!

Symanticus
Level 6
thanks for the reply Craig,

do we have to manually change the backup tape sets so that it will not causing confusion for which tape to insert later on ?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you want to duplicate backup resources which are on tape to another tape, you either have to have a second tape drive or duplicate it to disk.

If you have only one tape drive, when you start your job, the destination tape will be loaded into the tape drive and then the job will wait for the source tape to be loaded which will never happen.

CraigV
...and with an autoloader/library, I would suggest removing the tapes if you're duplicating data. No need for the older tapes to be used if you don't need them.
For "archiving" purposes, I would take that tape you have duplicated that data on and put it somewhere safe if you intend keeping the data for a while.