cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Tapes - What tape will it choose?

jgrywacheski
Level 4

This will probably be an easy question to answer for someone, but I'm new to BE so forgive me.

Running BE 2010 R3

I have a backup job that runs from Monday-Friday. It starts with a Full backup, and then incrementals for the rest of the week, with all media being appendable. This is all run on a Device pool that contains two tape drive (1 & 2)

Say an incremental finishes on Friday night on tape 2. Tape 2 still has room on it, Tape 1 is completely empty. When Monday comes and goes to run the Full backup, what tape will it choose? Will the full start to append onto tape 2 or will it choose the empty tape to start on?

Basically, my question is how does BE choose what tape to start the next scheduled job on?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The one with oldest allocation date among the available media will be selected for backups.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Depends upon how your job starts. If the job starts as Append, BE will use the appendable tape available (Tape 2 in your case). If the job starts as overwrite, BE will use the overwritable tape available. (In your case tape 1)

Regards....

jgrywacheski
Level 4

Thank you.

How would I find out how a job starts?

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You can see it in job properties. Right click on a job and click on properties.

In the job properties window, under device and media options, you can find an option as "When this job begins".

Regards....

jgrywacheski
Level 4

Ok, I found where that setting is. Now what if I set it to start as overwrite, but both tapes are overwritable, which one will is choose? and how does it choose this?

Thanks.

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

The tape with oldest allocation date.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The one with oldest allocation date among the available media will be selected for backups.

jgrywacheski
Level 4

Thank you very much for your quick answers.