cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup-To-Disk Restore for Disaster Recovery

hello0001
Level 3

I am currently running Backup Exec 12.5. I am backing all my files to Removable Hardrives using Backup-To-Disk feature.

My Backup Exec server was crashing and I have to rebuild the Backup Exec 12.5. I do not have any backup of the current 12.5 Exec so the rebuild will be a fresh one. Right now, the only thing I have is a brand new Backup Exec 12.5 and one removable hard that contain all backup files prior to the crash of Backup Exec 12.5 server.

My questions is how do I extract all the files that I backed up to the removable hardrive with the rebuild backup exec 12.5. Your promt response would be grately appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Inventory the drives & catalog the media...and before running the catalog job, from tools - options - uncheck "Request all media in Sequence" and "Use Storage Media based Catalogs"...

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Before Inventory and Catalog you need to create Backup to Disk folder in backup Exec and point that to the removable drive where you have the backedup data. Ones the folder is created and then Inventory and Catalog all the medias. After Catalogging is completed you should be able to see the data in restore selection list.

Thanks,

-Sush...

hello0001
Level 3

Thank you so much for your help. I will definitely give this a try and will let you know if it works.

I have another question. Is there any good way to do a daily backup of Backup Exec 12.5 just in case I have to rebuild it from scratch.

Example: All Jobs will be backup up as well as Backup Exec database.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

You're looking at the following:

1. bedb.bak is a backup of the BEDB created automatically every night at 4am. This is stored in the Data folder, and effectively means you don't need to backup SQL using an agent on the BE server.

2. You can select the Data and Catalogs folders for nightly backup.

In the event of a media server crash, you'd do the following:

1. Install the OS.

2. Install BE 12.5 and patch.

3. Stop the BE services (including the SQL service), and rename the current Data/Catalogs folders.

4. either restore the backed up Data/Catalogs folders to disk and then copy them to the installation directory and fire up the BE services...

OR...

4. Don't stop the BE services, and restore directly from tape after catalogging it.

Restoring to disk first, and then copying to the installation directory would be my choice...

Thanks!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

I have no idea why someone gave Craig a "thumbs down"  He is spot on

The BEDB (thus BEDB.BAK) contain all your job definitions, schedules adn media info

The \Catalogs directory contains the catalogs of all active media (tapes and BKF files

If you backup the \Data directory and the \Catalogs directory, you should be able to get back to your production system with little trouble.  See  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH67768

The title says "How to Migrate" but the re-install would basically follow the same steps

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Haha...thanks for that 1 Ken! wink Maybe they forgot to vote me up...

I've asked an admin to let me know who it was so that I can follow up with them...