cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup To Disk then to TAPE

syed_jahanzaib
Level 5

Currently I am backing full server daily to TAPE directly. Now I want to convert this job from tape only to Backup_to_Disk_THEN_to_Tape

My question is , How it will work? BE will first copy data from the source server to Local BE Disk in BKF file , then again it will read from source server and write to tape , right ? so double reading from the source server ?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
No. BE will do a backup from the source server and then duplicate the backup set from disk to tape. It will not access the source server twice. Target your job to a disk storage then add a stage after the job to duplicate to tape

View solution in original post

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

No, the duplicate job will not read from the original server. It will set its source as the BE Disk Storage and read from there.

EDIT***

Didn't see pkh's reply earlier.

During restore, the restore wizard will give you an option to restore from disk or tape, provided the backup sets on either media are available.

Else, one can always directly initiate the restore from the specified storage itself.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You will be presented with a choice to select from either disk or tape, but note that if your backup is a GRT backup then it needs to be staged to disk first, so in these cases it would be better to restore from disk

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified
No. BE will do a backup from the source server and then duplicate the backup set from disk to tape. It will not access the source server twice. Target your job to a disk storage then add a stage after the job to duplicate to tape

syed_jahanzaib
Level 5

So When it comes to restore, how i will select to restore from which source, disk or tape?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

No, the duplicate job will not read from the original server. It will set its source as the BE Disk Storage and read from there.

EDIT***

Didn't see pkh's reply earlier.

During restore, the restore wizard will give you an option to restore from disk or tape, provided the backup sets on either media are available.

Else, one can always directly initiate the restore from the specified storage itself.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You will be presented with a choice to select from either disk or tape, but note that if your backup is a GRT backup then it needs to be staged to disk first, so in these cases it would be better to restore from disk