cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup-To-Disks folders / system cannot find the path specified. Error

1_SE
Level 3
I'm running Backup Exec 10d Small Business Server Suite Service Pack 3. On a windows 2003 small business premium server.
I'm trying to setup backup-to-disk folders to mapped shared drives on an xp professional machine. I have shared a folder and set shareing permissions and security permissions to everyone full control.
When I select the mapped drive, or a subfolder under the mapped drive, in the 'New backup-to-disk folder' wizard and click 'next' I imeadiately get the error "The system cannot find the path specified". Even if I use the 'browse' button to select the location.Smiley Mad
I've searched the knowledge base and found articles...Document ID: 266377; Document ID: 243971; Document ID: 273224  to be of NO assistance what so ever.
Please Please  I need help on this one it's just not making any since to me why it's not working as it should.
I thank you in advance for your assistance.
3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If you logon to the media server as the BackupExec service account, can you map the XP share?

if so, try defining the B2D folder using UNC rather than using a mapped drive (when the console is logged off, there are no mapped drives, since there is no environment)

1_SE
Level 3
Thank you VERY MUCH for your reply, I don't know why I didn't get an e-mail notice when you replied to this post, so I appoligize for my late response.

I am logged in to the server with the backup exec services account when trying to set up these folders. and yes I can get to the UNC path & the mapped drive without issue.
Originally when I started this I was using UNC paths but couldn't get that to work either. The error I get witha UNC path is "The path contains the invalid character.." It doesn't say what character and if I cut and paste this exact path in my run line the unc path opens flawlessly.  I've tried unc paths to shared drives and administrative shares. Same errors and nothing working.
If I type a UNC path in the 'Path:' line and click on the browse button I receive the follwing error...

"\\tsclient is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The request is not supported."

1_SE
Level 3
I believe I have this working now.  I'm embarrassed to say what the issue was but in the spirit of knowledge sharing I feel I have too.

The machine I was trying to UNC path to was on the DMZ. Not on the domain LAN. Consistent authentication wasn't possible, and there was some fighting going on with ISA (SBS2003 premium) and Backup Exec. SO even though I COULD get to it from a command line and had no issues mapping drives, there were many behind the scene' issues that were stacked against me.
I've since used a unc path on the domain to a LAN machine (I'll just have to put the extra drives in here) and the 'Backup-to-Disk Folders' seems to be working.

THANK YOU again for your support here and, again, I appologize for the 'goose' chase.