cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup To Removable USB Drives question

naveen_s
Level 4
Hi guys,

I'd like to set up the following Backup system using Backup Exec 12.
I have 7 Removable USB Drives. I'd like to set up a daily backup, but each day I put in a different drive.
I also want this to be achieved without logging into the machine. I figure that if I set a start time and max time for the job then outside this time it will be ok to swap the USB drive.
Any ideas? Is this possible? I expect I might have to run an inventory job immediately before the backup job to ensure that Backup Exec knows what disk is in the drive?

Naveen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

shirmal
Level 5
hi,
There are two files that must be present on each disk.
changer.cfg and folder.cfg. These are necassary for Symantec to use the media. Without these files the software will not recognize and/or use the drive.
To do this you should be able to completely configure your first drive and then copy the contents of Drive 1 to the other 6. Then you can inventory or run a test backup to each drive.
If the drive letter stays the same switching them should not be an issue.
Hope this helps

shirmal

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You may run "hot-swappable drive wizard" to detect new drive, without doing any additional operation. This wizard, can be run everytime you replace the drive. Following document would give you more information on this wizard:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/299003

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks

shirmal
Level 5
hi,
Are your USB drives viewed as drives or removeable drives to Windows? e.g. the Dell RD1000 is a 'Removeable Disk g:' where an external USB drive is just drive g:
Backup Exec handles each differently. You have Backup to Disk and you have removable backup to disk options

shirmal

naveen_s
Level 4
hello,
Thanks for both. They are removable drives in windows, all allocated the same drive letter.
The help talks about running the Hot-swappable Device Wizard like BEsymc says, but is that just for USB tapes?

naveen

shirmal
Level 5
hi,
There are two files that must be present on each disk.
changer.cfg and folder.cfg. These are necassary for Symantec to use the media. Without these files the software will not recognize and/or use the drive.
To do this you should be able to completely configure your first drive and then copy the contents of Drive 1 to the other 6. Then you can inventory or run a test backup to each drive.
If the drive letter stays the same switching them should not be an issue.
Hope this helps

shirmal