cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup VNX CIFS shares to DataDomain

storage_enginee
Level 3

Hi Guys,

Could anyone please provide a step by step instructions to configure backups of a VNX CIFS server to a DD appliance (backup to disk) using BE2010, for both NDMP and direct CIFS? Are there any additional licenses needed for BE? DD does not have a VTL, nor DDBoost license. I currently have these licenses for BE:

Symantec BackupExec 2010

Agent for Microsoft Exchange Server

Remote Agent for Windows and NetWare servers

Agent for Microsoft SQL server

Active Directory Recovery Agent

6 REPLIES 6

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Which version of 2010? Check HCL for compatibility of NAS code version with BE.

VNX File 7.0 is supported with the 2010 R2 or later. 

1) NDMP backup: Configuring NDMP backup on VNX using BE is explained well in this EMC document.

http://corpusweb130.corp.emc.com/upd_prod_VNX/UPDFinalPDF/en/NDMP_Backups.pdf

Starting from Page 158.

..and among the licenses you have listed, NDMP option license is not available. You will have to purchase and install it on the media server.

EMC Celerra NDMP agent information: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH51276

2) Without NDMP: Stop NDMP service on VNX DMs. You can then add the CIFS shares as User Defined Selections in BE selection list to back them up. Choose the B2D folder created on DD as target here.

You will have to purchase and install Remote Agent for Windows Servers to comply with licensing terms, even though you cannot install agent on DM. Adding to that, backup job would complete with an exemption saying that the remote agent could not be found.

Thanks!

teiva-boy
Level 6

You need nothing in terms of licensing, though BOOST would give you a performance benefit.  VTL would only be beneficial if you wanted to do an NDMP backup DIRECTLY from VNX to DD over FC.

Backing up CIFS shares is very well documented here in this forum if you search, as well as very well in the support pages of Symantec.com.

storage_enginee
Level 3

Thanks guys, appreciate your help.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If backing up over a CIFS share then you do need a RAWS license on the media server

Also the NDMP option does not Dedup well (to a Backup Exec Dedup device) and may therefore have a similar limitation to a DD OST device.

storage_enginee
Level 3

Colin,

I have a remote agent license.

At this point I am not really concerned about the dedup. NDMP and direct CIFS backup configuration steps is the number one priority.

teiva-boy
Level 6

Exagrid, DataDomain both can dedupe netapp and EMC arrays via NDMP.  I'm sure more OST devices can do it too, but those are what I know work for a fact.

However, getting outside of those two top players does muddy the waters in if it can be deduped or not.  HNAS/Bluearc, Isilon, Sun, etc...