cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup VNXe 3150 files on Backup Exec 15

gabriel_abib
Level 3

Hello all, how are you, Happy New Year first of all.

Here am I with an issue where we don't know how to solve it, and it would be the following:

We have a VNXe 3150 where we storage some files and we would like to have Backup Exec 15 to backup them. I have tried the symlink option and though the folders and the files are seen on it, it didn't back up them, and also I have tried the option to set up the nmdp server on VNXe but I seem to have something missing on it as though I was able to set up the server and able to see it on Backup Exec 15, no files seems to appear under the shared folders, and also the 2 backups job that ran under it failed and the reasoning under it was there so no Remote Agent for Windows Servers installed (which is impossible due being a NAS)

So I am here asking for those who have the same product or similar and uses Backup Exec to backup files which is the proper configuration on both NAS and Backup Exec in order to make this work, as I've searched and any result I find seems to have mixed results.

Thanks in advance!

8 REPLIES 8

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If your NAS is capable of iSCSI, then the easiest way to back it up is to connect it via iSCSI to the BE Server and back it up just like a local disk.

If it is not capable of iSCSI, then you can back it up by either

a) configuring it as a shared directory and back it up as if it is a remote device.  You would need a AWS licence to do this.

b) using NDMP.  You would need a BE NDMP licence to do NDMP backup.

@pkh wrote:

If your NAS is capable of iSCSI, then the easiest way to back it up is to connect it via iSCSI to the BE Server and back it up just like a local disk.

If it is not capable of iSCSI, then you can back it up by either

a) configuring it as a shared directory and back it up as if it is a remote device.  You would need a AWS licence to do this.

b) using NDMP.  You would need a BE NDMP licence to do NDMP backup.

Thanks for the reply,

I would need to double check whether both server and NAS have the iSCSI option. Since I want to have everything covered beforehand, just in case it does not have the iSCSI option:

I think "a)" would be dificult as if I am not mistaken, AWS would need to be installed on NAS and in order to do it, so I believe "b)" would be a preffered option. In both cases, I wouldn't like to purchase and/or request to purchase a license and then having that not to work. Is that possible to request a trial licence in order to and if it works then proceed with the purchase of it?

Edit: sorry, I have just checked that Trial can be done on BE server itself, but still I have a question regarding that originally when I added the server as a NDMP Server it did not show any content of the files that are under it, it not having installed the BE NDMP licence related to it?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You do not install AWS on the NAS.  The AWS licence is a licencing requirement to backup a remote device like a NAS.

When you backup a device via NDMP, you backup the entire volume.  You cannot choose files/folders to backup.  You only get the choice to choose particular files/folders during restores.

The AWS part I got mixed up, but still, though not having any licence installed (which on backing up would give me an error due not having the licence), wouldn't I be able to see which are the files that are inside the CIFS share from the NAS? Since those are not displayed.

On the image attached it is the NAS with its folders, but the Folders highlighted are the ones with information/files/folders inside it but when I select one of them it shows it has nothing on it. Would that be due not having the NDMP licence installed?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Are those line highlighted in yellow volume names within the NDMP device (that happen to also be share names)

Asking the question as that screenshot looks like NDMP selections and not CIFS selection

BTW when you first create a remote server object as either NDMP or CIFS to change to the other type you have to delete the object and recreate it (and  before you recreate you have to either disable NDMP or enable NDMP on the NDMP device itself, depending on the direction of the change.

Basically:

- share level (CIFS) backups have to have NDMP/NDMPD disabled on the storage device

- the NDMP option backups have to have NDMP/NDMPD enabled on the storage device.

Those line highlighted are the shared folder we have on our NAS which originally were CIFS share, but then in attempt to start backing them up we enabled the NDMP server option (which of course due not having the NDMP licence installed might be the reason why it failed the backups).

Sorry reopening this, but fortunately we were able to at least see the backup following what was said here: https://community.emc.com/message/964295 (and apoligize if I got mixed up with something)

But for some reason when folders are selected and job ran, it took forever and total files to be backed up are around 400gb, however at one point the backup used over 2tb storage. Any clue on what would be?

Also I got error V-79-57344-4873 which according to https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000041359 is due folders changing names, but there was no change done in the meanwhile, I have yet to check the NDMP logs, but the link provided seems too vague.

Updating this, as stated on previous post, was able to do it and now was able to make sure all backup is correctly set up. I was missing the license to backup NDMP server and the configurations done were poor.

Apreciate the help!