cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Workstations Using Symantec Product

valley_girl1919
Level 3

We use Symantec back up exec 2010 to back up our servers, but is there an option to back up certain workstations also? Right now I have windows xp back up utility set to back up certain users software data folders that is on their c drive set to back up to their my docs (which we have pointing to a backed up fileserver). I am new to back up and I did not set up back up exec 2010 that we use for our servers. What does Symantec offer as back up options for PC's that would make backing up and restoring easy or easier than using windows xp back up utility?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Yes. That is Right. For Win 7 you will have to buy the Licenses. The number of Remote Agent licenses will be the number of Win 7 machines.

Thanks,

-Sush...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

2 ways around this actually...

1. Buy additional Remote Agent for Windows Servers licenses for the workstations you want to back up. You need 1 RAWS agent per workstation.

2. Look at Symantec DLO 7 (Desktop and Laptop Option).

EDIT: Check the link for the DLO 7 Admin Guide:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC5268

Sush---
Level 6

Hello there,

You have mentioned that you want to backup Win XP workstations.

You DO NOT have to buy any licenses for Win XP machines as backing up computers with Windows XP operating System is Free.

So just install Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows on the Windows XP machine and select the required data from Backup Exec selection list.

You may also try the second solution suggested by CraigV.

Thanks,

-Sush...

valley_girl1919
Level 3

So only with Win XP you do not have to buy any licenses for backing up computers with back up exec? We will be going to Win 7 eventually so we will have to buy the licenses for each Win 7 pc to use back up exec?

Thanks!

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

As per the TN below, everything before Vista doesn't need a RAWS agent:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH18690

Sush---
Level 6

Yes. That is Right. For Win 7 you will have to buy the Licenses. The number of Remote Agent licenses will be the number of Win 7 machines.

Thanks,

-Sush...