cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup a clustered HyperV VM

AlaaBrhouma
Level 3

Hello,

I have three servers, one is for storage and the other 2 have one VM each (win server 2008) and are clustered into a failover cluster. I am using Symantec Backup EXEC to backup and restore the VM's. The problem is that  If one server fails while backing-up, the backup fails with an error 'loss of connexion'. Is there a way to overcome this ? i mean when a server's connexion fails, the VM will run on the other server and the backup won't fail ?

Thank You

2 REPLIES 2

Siddhant_Saini
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hello,

This is my understanding about the scenario you presented: With the current version of Backup Exec, the Backup Exec Server and the Remote Agent installed on the remote server establishes communication before running(initiating the data transfer process) a backup job. 

If the server where the Remote Agent is installed, fails during a backup job then there is no way for Backup Exec Server to connect to the other server(even if the Remote Server(Virtual Machine based on the servers) is in clustered environment). You would have to rely on the previous backup sets for restore. The job will fail with Loss of Connection. 

Note: This can be posted as an idea by using the following link: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/backup-and-recovery/ideas

AlaaBrhouma
Level 3

Thank you Sir,

I work in a company which gives symantec-based backup-restore solutions and I really I hope you include such option in a next release.