cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup accounts

tcleeton
Not applicable

I am running backup exec 2012 on a domain controller. Is there any way to configure the accounts within backup exec so that the user connecting to the server, does not have to be a domain administrator account? 

I created a user account and password within the application, but it won't let me log in using that account from a remote console.

I know that Backup Exex 2010 would not let you log in unless you were using an AD account with local log in permissions.... I was hoping that had been resolved with 2012. 

Thank you,

Tracy Cleeton 

5 REPLIES 5

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

No you would have to use domain account only to take remote console of backup exec which is installed on Domain controller

Also please check few link below

http://www.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-leverage-backup-execs-remote-console

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can login to BE with any account.  However, you would not be able see resources or run jobs if the account does not have sufficient privileges.  For example, you cannot backup the system state of a domain controller if you are not a domain administrator.  This is because the system state of a DC contains AD which can only be backed up by a domain administrator.

This applies whether you are using the console on the media server or a remote console.

Make sure that the account that you login have the following privileges.

Requirements for the Backup Exec Service Account (BESA).

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...but this makes absolutely no sense. Absolutely none at all.

The recommendation is to use a Domain Admin account for the BESA due to permissions etc. You can use a domain admin account to connect to the BE media server through the remote console too, as well as a local Power Users/Backup Operators/Local Admins group.

If you don't know the subject, don't comment. MY article I wrote above gets around the lack of security by using a normal domain account...but in NO way is this the only way to connect.

Thanks!

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

I have asked user to use domain account & I have no were specified ,use 'domain admin' account, as OP is saying below lines (Were he is looking to use Non AD account ,that is log in locally), So I have suggested to use domain account only & have not specified something like you have to use domain admin account or account with some permission here ,so he can use any domain account.

I know that Backup Exex 2010 would not let you log in unless you were using an AD account with local log in permissions.... I was hoping that had been resolved with 2012. 

Thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Huh?

Backup Exec most CERTAINLY allows you to log on with a local account. I've never seen any documentaion from Symantec specifying otherwise. In fact, 1 of the troubleshooting steps done by engineers is to change all the BE services to the Local System Account, or a local admin account and start them up if there is an issue with services not starting up.

The BESA needs to be a domain account with at least Domain Admins rights. If you read my article which I don't think you did, I used a normal domain account primarily because I had 32 sites to look after. Can you imagine looking after 32 different service accounts just to implement what I did with a standard domain account?