cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup and Convert XenServer VM for Hyper-V

3s1k
Level 4
Partner

I have BE 2014 and I want to backup and convert a XenServer VM (2008r2) so that we can then move it to another server with Hyper-V and shutdown our Xenserver permanetely.

Is this possible? I am able to backup the VM just fine as BE2014 thinks this server is a physical server. I have been trying to export the VM through XenCenter and it keeps failing and we need to push forward with this project.

EDIT: I wanted to add that there is no Hyper-V server in our domain yet. Once we have the XenServer VM exported/converted we are going to repurpose the physical XenServre box and install Server 2008r2 with HV on it.

5 REPLIES 5

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Physical to Virtual conversion requires either a VMware or Hyper-V Hypervisor on the other end. Without a target hypervisor, the conversion will not occur.

Colin_Weaver

As you are moving a VM from a Xen environment to Hyper-V you should be able to use one of the P2V options (which uses the Backup Exec Agent for Windows installed inside the VM being moved) and then the virtual agent components to convert into a Hyper-V VM (which also uses an Agent for Windows installed on the Hyper-V host)

There might be an issue with the drivers and support utlties for Xen that might be installed inside the VM as the convert operation won't remove them and they may cause instability or conflict issues until they have been manually removed. It would be a little bit trial and error to work out if it is better to remove any Xen specific software before you convert, OR do the convert and then remove the Xen software afterwards.

3s1k
Level 4
Partner

There is no P2V option when I try to create a backup. See the attached image,

VJware, I believe you are right. Since Hyper-V is not installed I dont think it will work. When setting up a job it ask for the "Full path of HV integration components ISO image". I have no such image when browsing for it.

LegAEI
Level 5

"Convert to Virtual Machine" would be the P2V option.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/unable-convert-full-backup-vm

Colin_Weaver

You may need a virtual machine agent license to see the convert options (or at very least to have enbled this function as a trailware option during/within the install.)

EDIT: I think that you may also need have at least one Hyper-V Host or VMware Host/VCenter configured in Backup Exec as well (which if you currently do not have a hyper-V host means you won't be able to do it).