cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup and Restore, does it really work? :)

pedal1
Not applicable
Hello,
I'm currently backing up my new Exchange 2003 Ent' (In a Win2003 AD) using Veritas backup Exec 9.1 and the agent for an Exchange.

I'm using the FULL backup for the weekend and the DIFFERENTIAL for the Daily backup.

The "Exchange server backup method" is:
FULL - Database & logs (flush committed logs)
The "Mail backup method" is:
COPY - Back up messages.

In order to check that the restore really works I'd like to do the following:
Install a new AD Domain (totally seperate from the current one. My network is new and clean and I'd like to keep it that way) with an Exchange on it and restore the backup to this Exchange.
Is there a chance it would work?
If no, what's the best, fast and the cleanest way to check that the backup and the restore really work when time (God forbid) comes....:).
P.S the restore should be totally seperate from the current domain...

Thanks so much,
OF
4 REPLIES 4

saptarshi
Level 3
Hi,
You need to keep 3 things in mind while performing the restore. On the new Exchange server:
1.Use the same Organization name
2.Use the same Administrative Group name
3.Use the same Mailbox Store name

You also need to install the exchange agent on this computer. Restore the latest full backup and then the last differential backup that you have.
Please refer to http://support.veritas.com/docs/247985
Hope this helps you out.

Dave_Bunye
Level 6
Keep the things above in mind, as well as:

You will not be doing a restore of the exchange backup, you will be doing a redirected restore of the exchange backup. When you create the restore job, be sure to select the Exchange Redirection node and give the appropriate information.

Your new test exchange must match EXACTLY the original one. All folder sturctures and names must be identical. If you have three storage groups, each with four mailbox stores on your orignal one, then you test one must have three storage groups, with four mailbox stores in each with the exact same names on each level.

Don't have a recovery storage group involved. Don't even have it partially created. RSG are good for what they do, but cause issue for everything else.

Make sure you have created, and use, a logon account in Backup Exec which has full rights to the new domain and exchange server.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

We want to know if the solution provided helped you?

Thank you for updating the same.

If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be 'assumed answered' and archived.

Regards,

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
Archiving the post as per our previous reply