cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup archive files form disks to LTO tapes

selman_ozceylan
Level 3

Hi,

We have archive files on external sata drives. Now we want to move archive data from sata disks to LTO tapes (To space up/clear external disks to re-use). This is all i need to do with backup exec. I have Dell PowerVault 144x tape drive and LTO 5 tapes. I want to tell what i need and would like to get some feedback.

1. I need to able to see files on LTO without inserting it to tape driver

2. I want to able to search files&folders on LTO tapes (without loading tapes) 

3. I want to give custom name to backups (as a lable or tape name/ID etc)

4. I want to see list of the LTO tapes that backed      (right now, it’s base on server/disk drive/backup date/files&folders. What i like to see : Date of backup/ LTO (tape name/ID or label) / files&folders

5. I don't need to overwrite files/folders to LTO, but i need to able to add more files if there is space on LTO tapes

6. I want to run backup/restor manually, do not need any automation 

I hope i explained my needs, please tell me your feedback

Regards. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

1 and 2 are provided by catalogs - although you may need to check they aren't set to truncate or expire

3 is not possible if the library is using barcodes but is possible with label command otherwise

4 you cannot do directly in Backup Exec but might be able to extract from reports and BEMCLI output with scripting

5 is done by using Append and job start type (with correct Overwrite Protection)

6 is entirely how you choose to create/run jobs

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

1 and 2 are provided by catalogs - although you may need to check they aren't set to truncate or expire

3 is not possible if the library is using barcodes but is possible with label command otherwise

4 you cannot do directly in Backup Exec but might be able to extract from reports and BEMCLI output with scripting

5 is done by using Append and job start type (with correct Overwrite Protection)

6 is entirely how you choose to create/run jobs