cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup both Exch 2010 & 2013 in between migration

capri_guy84
Level 2

We are starting to move mailboxes to Exchange 2013 in our environment and I would like to start backing it up using BE2014. I went to install Ex2013 mgmt tools and it complained that there is already Ex2010 tools installed. I don't want to stop backing up Ex2010 yet but at the same time cannot go without backups for new Exch2013.

Is there a workaround?

Options

1. Do I have to do windows backup(role) based for Ex2013 till I could migrate over? Then backup the files.

2. Or Bring in new BE2014 and backup to separate volume and then move it back?

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If I am not mistaken, there is no requirement to load the Exchange 2013 EMT.  However, your media server needs to be on a Microsoft Windows 2008 R2 SP1 64-bit server or newer.

Have you tried backing up your Exchange 2013 and restoring some mailboxes?

View solution in original post

capri_guy84
Level 2

The DAG is discovered and added to backup server list but the test account failed with Communication Error.

So I fixed it by removing and adding DAG. The first time I added the servers were not added, only the dag object was. I did restart MBX servers after installing agents but it didn;t show up. So removing and adding back fixed the issue. Now I can ru backups.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If I am not mistaken, there is no requirement to load the Exchange 2013 EMT.  However, your media server needs to be on a Microsoft Windows 2008 R2 SP1 64-bit server or newer.

Have you tried backing up your Exchange 2013 and restoring some mailboxes?

capri_guy84
Level 2

The DAG is discovered and added to backup server list but the test account failed with Communication Error.

So I fixed it by removing and adding DAG. The first time I added the servers were not added, only the dag object was. I did restart MBX servers after installing agents but it didn;t show up. So removing and adding back fixed the issue. Now I can ru backups.