cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup changes Media type at the time of backup and backup fails?

sixthsense
Level 3

I have added new tapes for backup it is LTO-4 Ultrium RW hp tapes. I also done inventory on them as well and then assigned to specific backup to be taken on these tapes, and

then made its media type from BLANK to LTO. Here problem arises when i try to take the backup it automatically changes the media type from blank LTO to BLANK and taps do not take backups. When i see online media under media tab after this i can only see question mark(?) instead of tape mark on said taps. I also changed the taps as well but problem is same, i might be missing some thing to do

Please if anybody can help me in fixing this issue.

Thanks and Kind Regards.

Mazahir Abbas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should always label your new tapes.  Right-click on the tape, select Label and give it a label.  Also leave it in the scratch media set.  Do not associate it with any other media set.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

When you run the backup , the tape is moved to the media set once the job is complete. Make sure you specify the correct media set where you want the ttape should be 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Right-click on the new tapes and select Erase.  This will erase them and place them in the scartch media set.  Leave them in the scratch media set and run your job.   BE will use them and put them in the media set targeted by your job.

If you move the tape to the targeted media set BEFORE you start your backup job, then the OPP and AP of the media set will apply and the tape may not be immediately overwriteable.

sixthsense
Level 3

There is no such option when i right click on the tape, however i did put it to scratch media then assigned LTO as media type in properties then i associated it to associate media with media set. but when i tried to take the backup same thing happened. and it auto changed the media type to BLANK from LTO and ?(Question Mark) appeared on the media label.

I am stuck here please suggest me what process should I follow for this tape to work.

I also changed tape twice with other blank tape as well but same is happening with every tape I think i must be missing some thing that is preventing me to use new tape properly.

Thanks and Regards

Abbas

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should always label your new tapes.  Right-click on the tape, select Label and give it a label.  Also leave it in the scratch media set.  Do not associate it with any other media set.