cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup databases in exclusive job or at volume level?

CarolineKiel
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi everybody,

I'm struggling over the following question: When backing up a VSS enabled database like Exchange or SQL, shall we use a separate job which only includes the database as a selection or shall we include the database in the "normal" backup, done at volume level?

I'm asking, because in former times there were reasons, to split up the jobs into files and databases because of the different use ao AOFO.

But now I found the following TechNote: "Best practices for Backup Exec 2010 Advanced Open File Option"  (http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO21795)

In there it says: "Use the database agents to include Microsoft SQL or Exchange databases in a volume-level AOFO backup of Microsoft SQL or Exchange servers. Otherwise, the SQL or Exchange databases are excluded from the backup."

Doesn't this mean, that Symantec assumes, that the databases are backup up using the normal volume based jobs?

Does anyone have solid information, which way to prefer?

Thank you all in advance and all the best from Germany,

Oliver

Save the Earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

You can split your jobs off, no hassles. Read my article below which explains it.

Running AOFO on your job applies it to ALL resources in the job, so Exchange/SQL etc. will, at some stage, be affected. I've personally had Exchange logs not clearing (BE 11d), and not being able to redirect an SQL restore to another SQL server.

It's in the Admin Guide not to use AOFO when backing up DBs...when you use normal VSS, it snapshots the DB correctly. Using AOFO will give you a problem sometime.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/backing-databases-and-files-same-tape-separate-jobs-using-backup-exec

In my case, I run a DB backup first which overwrites a tape (not using AOFO), followed by a backup of data a couple of hours later that appends to the tape (using AOFO)...

Read the article, try it, and report back here.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

You are right you need to have a sperate backup for the database backup .Please note that it is not recommended to use AOFO to backup databases. Please refer the following technote.http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH65152

Normal volume base backup will skip those files by default . You cannot backup the database files for SQl or Exchange using AOFO , so you need to have agent for exchange and SQL accordinlgy .

CarolineKiel
Level 6

Hi Rahul,

Thank you for your fast response.

I think, i did not clarify, what I mean.

Let's assume, I have an Exchange Agent in my BEWS environment, and I'm now going to backup my Exchange Server.
When I select my Exchange Server, it will by default select all resources on the machine, let's say: C:\, D:\, E:\, the Exchange Information Store, The SCC and the System State.
Let's also assume, I'm doing a full backup and the settings in the "Exchange" tab of the job are set to default.
Third thing, I've configured in the AOFO tab, that AOFO is to be used, also with default settings (Auto detect...)

Now, when the backup will run, it will backup the ressouces in the listed order: First the C:\-Drive, than drive D:\ and so on. To backup these ressources, BE will use the AOFO, so everything will work fine. Somewhen the backup of the Information Store will start. Since the Exchange agent is installed, it should use it to backup my Exchange, shouldn't it? So the settings in the AOFO tab should be ignored anyway.

So, is there a problem to put all the resources of the Exchange server in one job, and if yes, can you explain to me, why there is a problem?

Thank you for your help,
Oliver

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

You can split your jobs off, no hassles. Read my article below which explains it.

Running AOFO on your job applies it to ALL resources in the job, so Exchange/SQL etc. will, at some stage, be affected. I've personally had Exchange logs not clearing (BE 11d), and not being able to redirect an SQL restore to another SQL server.

It's in the Admin Guide not to use AOFO when backing up DBs...when you use normal VSS, it snapshots the DB correctly. Using AOFO will give you a problem sometime.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/backing-databases-and-files-same-tape-separate-jobs-using-backup-exec

In my case, I run a DB backup first which overwrites a tape (not using AOFO), followed by a backup of data a couple of hours later that appends to the tape (using AOFO)...

Read the article, try it, and report back here.

Thanks!

CarolineKiel
Level 6

Hi Craig,

thank you for your response. I already thought so (and told everybody to split their jobs) but wanted to assure those facts again, because of a question I got the other day.

So thank you for your mail and the great posting you mentioned above!

Oliver