cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup destination Disk Backup Exec 2010R2/2012

Anathem
Level 3

Hi,

I use the EMC Atmos GeoDrive Client to map a disk who shows me the files in the cloud. GeoDrive use a cachefolder on a local partition to cache the backupfiles before they are uploaded to the cloud. (I backup my files direct to the new disk from GeoDrive F: or G:)

With Backup Exec 2010 R2 this works fine. About Device Configuration I add a Backup-To-Disk Folder and see all my drive letters.

With Backup Exec 2012 SP2 I add a Disk-based storage. By the choice where I will create the disk storage device I just can see my local partitions.
How can I backup to my "virtual" drive F: or G:?

View with Explorer:

pic1.jpg

With Backup Exec 2010 R2:

pic2.jpg

With Backup Exec 2012 SP2:

pic3.jpg

All samples are on the same Server 2008R2. I just changed the Backup Exec version.

Any help will be appreciated

Anathem

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

in 2012 we enforce types of disk storage because prior to 2012 customers were mis-using the available types (i.e. using Removable B2D settings when they should be using standard B2D settings etc) This enforcement will amost certainly be looking more thoroughly at how each disk is connected to the server and will then only show those disks that are appropriate to the type of storage device being created.

This enforcement will only have been tested against the official types of device that we support which might explain why your virtual connections to these GeoDrives are not visible as I doubt we officially support such a thing and whilst we probably have not deliberately blocked it, we would not have known they were in use to make sure they would continue to be useable either.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

Use the network share option on the Server 2012 option above. Is the Geo device deployed as hardware appliance or a software in a virtual environment.

Anathem
Level 3

Thank you for your reply.

When I try it about the share I become an error:

unable.jpg

GeoDrive is a software tool which connect me with credentials to my cloud space.

geodrive.jpg

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

Does the EMC Atmos have a plugin to enable the usage of that cloud space which can be used with Backup Exec. Cause once you get in configure storage, you would also get an option to backup data to cloud. The requirement in this case is that plugin that allows Backup Exec to access that cloud space and send data to it,

Anathem
Level 3

Opened now a ticket by EMC Atmos for the plugin. But I think they don't have one.

Do you know how Backup Exec detects if there a drive or non drive? Whats different between 2010R2 and 2012?

Colin_Weaver

in 2012 we enforce types of disk storage because prior to 2012 customers were mis-using the available types (i.e. using Removable B2D settings when they should be using standard B2D settings etc) This enforcement will amost certainly be looking more thoroughly at how each disk is connected to the server and will then only show those disks that are appropriate to the type of storage device being created.

This enforcement will only have been tested against the official types of device that we support which might explain why your virtual connections to these GeoDrives are not visible as I doubt we officially support such a thing and whilst we probably have not deliberately blocked it, we would not have known they were in use to make sure they would continue to be useable either.

Anathem
Level 3

Hmm.. It's not the answere I wish to hear. ;)
But from your side it's the only way to know that you have a clear software.

Thank you for your reply, I think I have to view for another solution.

Kind Regards 
Anathem

teiva-boy
Level 6

You can use a Panzura gateway infront of ATMOS or a seven10 appliance too.  Both would provide a CIFS share you could use while writing to ATMOS via native object store.

Anathem
Level 3

Is there a way to disable this enforce? About registry or something?

Colin_Weaver

No because the whole point is to stop customers using the wrong device types with the wrong storage types.

EDIT You could submi support for your Geo option as an Idea (using Create Content --> Idea at the top of these forums) and we treat ideas as enhancement requests that may be considered for future versions - however whether or not we add support and the timescales if we decide to would be unknown.