cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup directly from SAN to Tape using backup exec 15?

ketvo
Level 3

Hi Everybody,

This is my problem.

I am using SAN of Proware which doesn't support NDMP, so that I can't use BE 2010R3 to backup directly from SAN to Tape(Tandberg Data). The LUN mapped to backup server cannot be seen. How about Backup Exec 15? Does it support to see LUN map from this SAN Proware?

Thank you so much.

Ket Vo.

17 REPLIES 17

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Does this device support CIFS or iSCSI ? If yes, then BE should be able to back it up, however the data will not go directly from the device to the tape drive but rather from the device to the BE media server and then to tape.

Colin_Weaver

Please see this blogs for options of using SAN with Backup Exec - note this is just conceptual and therefore covers multiple versions of Backup Exec

http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/lan-free-including-san-backup-configurations-backup-exec

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...sounds like it might be a zoning issue and mapping LUNs would refer to FC or iSCSI. Check your zoning. If this is a LUN specifically for backups and it contains NO data, then make sure you configured it correctly in Windows.

Thanks!

ketvo
Level 3

Hi VJware,

This device supports CIFS.

- Only BE 15 can do or both BE 15 and BE 2010 can do?

- Why can't the backup server see the mapped LUN? Does it need LAN backup feature license?

Thank VJware so much.

Colin_Weaver

If you make the server that use the LUN into a Backup Exec Server and attach the tape library to the back of the same server then this will achieve SAN based backups.

As this is a devcie that does not support NDMP unless it is also a VMware datastore as I don't think the device supports ADBO either this will be your only option

CIFS is not a SAN backup and in fact if using CIFS, this means it is configured as a NAS device and not a SAN device and then your use of the term MAP means attaching a windows drive letter to \\device\share and yes Backup Exec cannot backup via the mapped drive letter as the drive letter is a user level record and Backup Exec operates at a service level (so that it can run when no user is logged in) You can however configure to backup directly from \\device\share

ketvo
Level 3

Thank CraigV,

I mean Symantec cannot see the LUN which mapped from SAN to backup server.

ketvo
Level 3

Thank Colin,

i am using first case: SAN backup. SAN---------Server----------TAPE.

LUN is mapped to server.

Why this Symantec cannot see this LUN? How should i configure?

ketvo
Level 3

Thank Colin,

i am using first case: SAN backup. SAN---------Server----------TAPE.

LUN is mapped to server.

Why this Symantec cannot see this LUN? How should i configure?

Colin_Weaver

LUN needs to be zoned or attached directly to Backup Exec server and not to another server

Tape Library also needs to be zoned or attached to Backup Exec srever

Data then moves across SAN from LUN to Backup Exec server and then back across SAN to tape library.

If LUN is attached/zoned to a different server (because the data inside the LUN is managed and owned by that server) then you will have to make this server into the Backup Exec server and attach the tape library to this server.

Please read the blog I linked ealier as it explains all the scenarios and it is possible you currently have a configuration that cannot do any of the SAN based scenarios - if this is the case then there is nothing we can do until you change your environmental configuration (which might involve investment in specific hardware or extra software )

ketvo
Level 3

Thank Colin very much,

Yes, i mean this LUN is mapped to Symantec BE server.

ketvo
Level 3

Thank VJware.

Colin_Weaver

Ok so in Windows Disk Manager the LUN should look like a local disk and have a drive letter, you then back it up via the drive letter.

If it is not visible in Windows disk manager OR does not have a drive letter then please be careful as if this LUN is also attached to another server or host then you cannot do what you are trying to do (unless either Offhost ADBO or VMware configurations are applicable) Any attempt to give the disk a drive letter when it is really in use by another server might corrupt the content of the LUN.

teiva-boy
Level 6

What is being described by the "want," of the original question, is the wrong way to do things, and will result in data loss.

What you want to do is an off-host backup, yet that array is most likely not in the HCL, nor good enough to have a snapshot provider.

What you need to do is contact Proware as this is their issue to help you properly zone your LUN's for access.  This isn't a backupexec issue.  If the windows server can't see the volume properly, this isn't a backupexec issue.

ketvo
Level 3

Thank for your supporting. :)

ketvo
Level 3

HI teiva-boy, Window server can see LUN but Symantec can't see.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

so you are using iSCSI? or FC?

what drive letter does it use in Windows Explorer?

What are the results when you run B2Dtest?  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH69107

teiva-boy
Level 6

If it's not a drive letter with NTFS/FAT on there, BackupExec won't use/see it.  If this is a LUN that is zoned to a different server, with data on it; do not pass go, do not make BackupExec access that LUN.  You will lose data.

What you want to be doing is an off-host backup, which is not supported with your SAN array and BackupExex, nor any other backup vendor in the world.  No one supports that brand from HP, Symantec, Commvault, EMC, etc.