Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec 10 catalog error

Kerm007
Level 4

hello

i'm on the process of restoring data from old tapes to external disk

i did the inventory and when i try to do the catalog it fail on all tapes with media error 

what can i do to get a good catalog and then i will restore the data i need ?

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

PJ_Backup
Employee

As this is a different error can you please start a new thread.

That said one thought I had is if this happens after a reboot you have attempted to open the BE Gui too quickly and all the services haven't finished starting up. In which case the Gui would not be able to open and you would get the password prompt (there would also be a message somewhere indicating not all services are started).

Then by the time you enter the password and press enter all the services have started running and the Gui opens as normal.

Its a bit of a guess but the only thing I can think of. If you start a new thread I'll post this reply.again.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

Kerm007
Level 4

i get this error when i do the catalog 

0xe0000904

Regards 

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified
Don’t remember if BE 10 had the settings to catalog without the storage based catalog selected. You can try the catalog that way or test the catalog job with a new BE version and see how it goes. Make sure the BE install path\catalogs folder is blank before you start the catalog. Is it also possible to post the job logs here to check them.

Kerm007
Level 4

ok so in the catalog folder i remove all files ?

Thanks 

Gurvinder

catalog files contain the info that show you details of the set in restore.
If this is a fresh install where you are doing the catalog then it will not have any catalog files in that catalog folder.
I am unsure what is the content of that folder as of now, so better to rename it and then create a blank catalog folder.
after that catalog the storage.See how it goes.
If that catalog folder that I asked you to rename has a lot of catalog files then it is probably needed and you can place it back after the catalog test.

Did you also check the setting "use media based catalog" ( I dont remember what it was called then or was it even present then in BE 10) you can uncheck it and try or try catalog on a fresh newer version of BE and see if it works

Kerm007
Level 4

hello old server with be 10 installed 

i will try to find the option 

if not i will backup the catalog folder and empty it 

i will see 

thanks 

Kerm007
Level 4

hello 

i uncheck the option  "use media based catalog" and did a catalog and it work 

now i will test the restore data

regards 

Kerm007
Level 4

hello

catalog is working but restoring it's a another story it failed with data inconsistency 

maybe the tape is bad i will check the stats

Thanks 

Kerm007
Level 4

hello 

i have a weird issue im able to do the catalog of a tape but when i try to restore data i get :

The selected media was not found in the catalogs. You must first catalog the media if you want to use it for restore operations.

i try again to do another catalog same issue the option catalog without the storage based catalog selected 

same issue 

any idea ?

Thanks 

Gurvinder

did you remove the old catalog files on drive and then changed catalog setting ( w/o storage based catalog selected) then run the catalog ? If the earlier sets catalog files were present then it would have not done the catalog again and would be referring to the same earlier catalog files.

Kerm007
Level 4

i try first to uncheck the option and it was working for 2 tapes but hat one refuse 

i will empty catalog folder then re run catalog and see 

thanks 

Kerm007
Level 4

hello its seems to work but some time i get 

Ready, No media servers are available

i reboot now it ok i will see if it continue to work 

thanks 

Kerm007
Level 4

it seem to work but when i do a catalog i get job status recovered

thanks 

Gurvinder

Do you see any sets in restore now ? You said it works but recovers. Recovered may be seen if for some reason the process has gone into a not responsive state etc. 
This is an old release but should do a catalog is what I feel unless there are some issues with the tapes or media itself.

Kerm007
Level 4

ok i just need to restore the best i can old tapes and then we will throw the old tape into garbage 

yes i see some data to be restored i have mix result without the option uncheck and catalog folder removed 

Thanks 

Kerm007
Level 4

one question i have is before when i start the server and start bexec it ask me a password 

now when i start Bexec i get not prompt not sur what change since the last time 

regards 

Kerm007
Level 4

well after i reboot twice i get the popup to enter the password in Bexec 

thanks 

PJ_Backup
Employee

As this is a different error can you please start a new thread.

That said one thought I had is if this happens after a reboot you have attempted to open the BE Gui too quickly and all the services haven't finished starting up. In which case the Gui would not be able to open and you would get the password prompt (there would also be a message somewhere indicating not all services are started).

Then by the time you enter the password and press enter all the services have started running and the Gui opens as normal.

Its a bit of a guess but the only thing I can think of. If you start a new thread I'll post this reply.again.

hello they are OLD Tapes of 2002 

i will do my best to restore the data 

:)