cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec 10d asks for second tape after about 200 Gb with 400 Gb tapes

Oldstock
Not applicable
Backup exec 10d asks for second tape after about 200 Gb with 400 Gb tapes

untill about 2 weeks ago the backup was fine for the whole 280 Gb (that's the full backup).
and then just one day (24 dec) the backup stopped after about 200 Gb and asked for a second tape...
This now happens every day and it messes up the backup (verify now has to run during daytime)

The tape drive is a HP Ultrium 448 with HP Ultrium 400 Gb tapes.

The same problem ocured with the old tape unit, I replaced that cause I thought it was too small, now I know for sure it's not.

Someone any ideas?
2 REPLIES 2

Nutkin
Level 2
The exact same thing is happening to me. I have about 269 GB to back up but I have to put in a second tape at around 245GB. Then verify each one. I can't figure out why. I've had backups over 280 and they've always fit on one tape.

Does anyone have a solution?

Marc_Hall
Level 3
You might want to check a couple of things,  First, does that media label say something like 200/400GB.  If so, then the 400GB assumes a 2:1 compression ratio.  Take that with a grain of salt.  Most of us will never see that kind of compression ratio on all of the files we back-up.  I count on a 1.4:1 compression ratio when figuring out what size tape to buy.  I ususally get a 1.6:1 ratio in actuality. 

Remeber, every environment is different, so look at your logs.  They should tell you what your current compression ratio is, and from there you can calculate how much you will actually be able to back-up on a single tape.