cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec 10d

frank_c1
Level 2
 I would like for backup exec 10d to back up to a disk folder.  The job is set to an 8gb limit for back up file size.  The job creates 5 backup exec files in a folder.  Back up execseems to create a new set of files in my folder if the job runs the next week..  I would like to prevent this to conserve disk space. Any idea please

Thank you

Frank

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Amith
Level 3
 Hi Frank, Set the Job to Overwrite and set the Overwrite protection on the media set to 6 or 7 days. This will allow the job to Overwrite the media that is over 6 or 7 days old thus conserving your disk space. Any problems setting this up just let me know.

Amith

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Amith
Level 3
 Hi Frank, Set the Job to Overwrite and set the Overwrite protection on the media set to 6 or 7 days. This will allow the job to Overwrite the media that is over 6 or 7 days old thus conserving your disk space. Any problems setting this up just let me know.

Amith

pkh
   VIP    Certified
In the Devices tab,  under the Backup-to-Disk Folders section, right-click on your B2D folder and select Property.  You need to set the Maximum number of backup sets per backup-to-disk file to the number of files that you want in the folder.  You then use Maximum size for backup-to-disk files property to set the file size that you want.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

to expand on pkh's answer a little \

each resource (share, database, system state) is counts as one BackupSet.  By increasing Maximum number of backup sets per backup-to-disk file ,  data from more than one job step can be written to one BKF file

pkh
   VIP    Certified
@Ken - Thanks for the clarification.  I had thought that Maximum number of backup sets per backup-to-disk file property is to control the maximum number of files in the B2D folder.  Setting this number properly works for me because I am only backing up 1 resource to one B2D folder.