cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec 11d - Incremental backup query

nik1390
Level 3

Hi guys,

I am planning a backup scheme that does Full backup on Fridays and Incremental backups using archive bit from Monday to Thursday.

If I start to run the back from Tuesday (Incremental backup), because it is the very first backup job that I am running and the archive bit will be set to on will it backup everything i.e will it run as a Full backup job

Any answers will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Nik

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you run an incremental job, it will only backup the files which have their archive bit on.  It will not backup files whose archive bit are not on.  Since you cannot be sure that all the files have their archive bit on, you should always run a full backup before you run either an incremental or a differential backup.  This also applies when you add a new resource to the your selection list, i.e, you should immediately run a full backup to establish a new baseline before resuming your incremental/differential backup.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Very first backup will be always a full backup irrespective of the backup method you select.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you run an incremental job, it will only backup the files which have their archive bit on.  It will not backup files whose archive bit are not on.  Since you cannot be sure that all the files have their archive bit on, you should always run a full backup before you run either an incremental or a differential backup.  This also applies when you add a new resource to the your selection list, i.e, you should immediately run a full backup to establish a new baseline before resuming your incremental/differential backup.

nik1390
Level 3

Pkh,

Many thanks for your answer.

Nik