cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec 12,upgrading.??

StockholmGuy
Level 6

Hi,

I have backup exec 12 and i want to upgrade it to backup exec 2010 R2.

Do i need the old licence key if i want to install the fresh copy of 2010 R2?

Or it is necessary just to upgrade it with new version that is 2010 R2,and how it would be upgraded?

I have new robotic library that also need to be attaced with this new version of backup exec 2010.

i am confused how i  can do this with the old backup exec 12.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The following document will help you in the process of upgradation.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH148394

If you want to install the fresh copy of BE 2010 R2, you require a new BE 2010 R2 license key. No need of the old one. But, if you upgrade to latest version of BE, your configurations will be available after the upgradation. If you install a fresh copy it will be a clean slate again. Also remember to push out the agents to all the remote machines incase of a upgrade.

With the base license key BE only supports one tape drive inside the library. If you want to use more, then you require LEO license.(One per each extra drive). But you can use any number of standalone drives without any extra license.

Regards...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Dev_T
Level 6

If you have a support contract with Symantec you are entitled to get a free upgrade from 12.x to BE2010x.

Otherwise you need to purchase the new license keys for BE2010R2

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The following document will help you in the process of upgradation.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH148394

If you want to install the fresh copy of BE 2010 R2, you require a new BE 2010 R2 license key. No need of the old one. But, if you upgrade to latest version of BE, your configurations will be available after the upgradation. If you install a fresh copy it will be a clean slate again. Also remember to push out the agents to all the remote machines incase of a upgrade.

With the base license key BE only supports one tape drive inside the library. If you want to use more, then you require LEO license.(One per each extra drive). But you can use any number of standalone drives without any extra license.

Regards...

StockholmGuy
Level 6

I dont have the support contract but  i have purchased that licence (backup exec 12)last year .

I need to upgrade now so i dont need new licence but just need new upgradering key.that is my point to understaand.

If i want to buy new licence its more expensive than to just upgrade it.

Am i have the right understading??

thanks

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Since you purchased the license last year you may be eligible for a free upgrade.

You may call licensing team and confirm the same, if you are eligible then symantec 

will provide you the license key for BE2010R2.