cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec 20.5 trial version error library expansion feature

CHMSystem
Level 3

Hi,

I installed the trial version of backup exec. My tape drive is well recognized by the software. But I do not see the available media slots. Apparently I have to install the library expansion feature for this to appear but I can not find any information about it. Can you explain to me how to install this feature that is included in the evaluation license.

Thanks,

Cindy

12 REPLIES 12

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified
Storage tab -> right click Disable -> Delete the drive and RL, then restart the BE services. Restarting BE services should we-discover the connected devices. Check if this helps

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Discovery of a robotic library should be automatic. Do you see the robotic library within BE?  We are trying to determine if you are missing the whole library or just the slots.

What robotic library are you using?

Is it on the Backup Exec HCL?  http://www.backupexec.com/compatibility

Does the robotic library show up under Windows Device Manager?

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100016050  has a lot of troubleshooting info.

Thanks for you answer.

The Modele is IBM TS3100 Tape Library. I checked, this is compatible.

I tried removing the storage and making a new discovery but nothing helped.

In storage, I have "Tape drive (no media)" but I do not have the robotic library or tape and disk cartridge media that I had in the old version of backup exec 2014.

Thanks,

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@CHMSystem 

Can you tell us what you see in Windows Device Manager?

Do you see a 'Medium Changer'?

I see "Tape Drives" but no medium changer in Device Manager

Marianne

@CHMSystem wrote:

I see "Tape Drives" but no medium changer in Device Manager

That is your problem. You need to ensure that the OS sees the tape library.

Please check your hardware (IBM) documentation on how to connect the library. 

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

As Marianne said, you need to determine why Windows cannot see the robotic library (medium changer).

One possibility is as issue with the SAS card used to connect the server to the tape library and drive.  Make sure that if it is a RAID SAS card, that it is one of the supported cards.  Please see http://www.veritas.com/docs/000038683.  If your SAS card is not RAID capable, then you should be fine in this regard.

How many tape drives are in your TS3100?  If you have more than one tape drive, please make sure that one of the tape drives is configured to present the "control path".  This is done in the web interface of the library or from the library front panel.

Thank you, it allows me to know where the problem comes from.
I tried to download the drivers available on the IBM site but nothing works. I can not find the driver for adding the medium to change.
Do you have an idea?

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

@CHMSystem wrote:

Thank you, it allows me to know where the problem comes from.
I tried to download the drivers available on the IBM site but nothing works. I can not find the driver for adding the medium to change.
Do you have an idea?

Do NOT use the IBM drivers.  Backup Exec has all the drivers needed built in.  Once Windows can see the robotic library, it will likely work with no intervention needed (other than restarting the server or BE services).

Thanks.

Windows sees the tape but not the robotic library. I search the drivers for windows to see it.

Marianne

Well, before any drivers can be installed, the OS needs to 'see' the device.

With no drivers installed, the robot (medium changer) will be under 'Other Device' with a yellow exclamation mark. 

By default, Windows will load its own drivers when it sees a medium changer and list it as 'Unknown Medium Changer'. 
Most backup software applications can use the tape library with this driver.

It seems your issue is that Windows does not see the tape library at all.
This means that you need to double check physical connections. 
Please see @Larry_Fine 's post about SAS card and 'control path'. 

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100023117 Try this tool. Confirm if the outputs is accurate and then if BE does not see it, I would request you to open a tech support case.