cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec 2010 R2 IDR

mathieu_alain
Level 3

Hi everybody,

This question is pretty simple. I'm just trying to find documentation that confirm if the IDR option is licensed with backup exec 2010 r2 or my customer need to buy it.

For some reason I couldn't find what I'm looking for on symantec website.

Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jwillis84
Level 2

I called Symantec Support

Specifically:

Re-run the Backup Exec installer and click on additional options.

One of the check boxes is for enabling IDR.

The installer must be run while no other jobs are running, and I think you have to have the console closed.

The Installer failed if it was run (a) while a backup job was running (b) while the console window was open.

The installer succeeded once (a) the backup job was stopped and (b) the console window was closed.

All other settings, keys and job configurations were left the same after re-running the installer.

My description would be: the installer is both an installer (and) a post-install configuration editor for the product.

So sometimes you have to re-run the installer in order to update or edit the product configuration.

I asked explicitly if an additional license purchase was required or if it was bundled with the product.

The answer was its a free option with the product: Backup Exec 2010 R3.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

IDR license is included in the Base Product license.

No seprate license required for IDR 

Mjahtetn
Level 6

The Backup Exec Core 2010 includes the ff:

> Intelligent Disaster Recovery
> Advanced Open File Option
> DLO Admin Server Component
- 5 free DLO clients

It can be activated using the license key of AWS:

http://www.symantec.com/business/products/agents_options.jsp?pcid=pcat_business_cont&pvid=57_1 ( under Backup Exec Agent for Windows Systems )

jwillis84
Level 2

I called Symantec Support

Specifically:

Re-run the Backup Exec installer and click on additional options.

One of the check boxes is for enabling IDR.

The installer must be run while no other jobs are running, and I think you have to have the console closed.

The Installer failed if it was run (a) while a backup job was running (b) while the console window was open.

The installer succeeded once (a) the backup job was stopped and (b) the console window was closed.

All other settings, keys and job configurations were left the same after re-running the installer.

My description would be: the installer is both an installer (and) a post-install configuration editor for the product.

So sometimes you have to re-run the installer in order to update or edit the product configuration.

I asked explicitly if an additional license purchase was required or if it was bundled with the product.

The answer was its a free option with the product: Backup Exec 2010 R3.

teiva-boy
Level 6

IDR has been free since at least v12 or maybe 12.5.  It's such a bad feature for multi-server environments, it had to be made free.