cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec 2010 R2 on bl460 G6 server

Jacco_Dominicus
Level 3

Hello,

I hope someone can help find a sollution for us.

Hardware:

HP C3000 chasis

HP BL460 G6 server, p700M mezzanine

SAS interconnect

MSL4048 SAS, 2 drives

Software:

Backup exec 2010 R2

Problem description:

We are having intermitted problems with the backup unit. In the windows device manager the drives are showing OK, in backup exec the drives are showing offline, this happend during the backup, i find this strange behaviour.

only sollution is to reboot the MSL and the backup server, sometimes this wil help for a few days, but sometimes the first backup already fails. We also have the problem that tapes stay in the tapedrive instead of ejected to the megazines.

What have we done:

Downloaded en installed the latest drivers from symantec

Downloaded en installed the latest firmware of the blade server, p700m controller, sas interconnect, msl4048 and the drives.

Downloaded en installed the driver mentioned  in the support note of symantec, HP P700m driver 6.20.0.64

Downloaded the symantec support tool for backup exec,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

We also have the problem that tapes stay in the tape drive instead of ejected to the megazines.

This sounds like a problem with the tape drive.  I had this problem once and replacing the tape drive solves the problem.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

pkh
   VIP    Certified

We also have the problem that tapes stay in the tape drive instead of ejected to the megazines.

This sounds like a problem with the tape drive.  I had this problem once and replacing the tape drive solves the problem.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If the tape is strucking at half-way out at the drive, problem may be with the robotics. Robotics may be failing in moving the tape from drive to magazine.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Jacco,

3 things...

1. Download HP Library & Tape Tools and run the tests against the drive and library to make sure that there aren't issues with the library.

2. Do you have the LEO (Library Expansion Option) installed? You have 2 drives, so you would need 1 additional license.

3. What output did the Symantec support tool give you? Any errors you can post here?

Is this a new error, or is it an existing error? Furthermore, are there any errors shown on the blade server? Not too sure if they have something like the ProLiant System Management Homepage or not...

Laters!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If the tape gets stuck somewhere in the drive (or because of the robotic arm operation) then Backup Exec will mark the devices as aoffline because it receives error statuses through the SCSI bus that tell Backup Exec that commands cannot be executed due to the current startus of the hardware. We then automatically mark the device as offline when we receive that information. As such I'd suggest you do have a hardware issue affecting Backup Exec rathar than Backup Exec being the cause.

Jacco_Dominicus
Level 3

Hello ,

Thanks for the replies.

I am currently running a Wellness test on the library. ( after running the tapetools )

Yesterday before the backup i saw that the library had an elevator problem. I rebooted the library and the backup server, after that i ran an inventory and no problems occured. This morning tapedrive 1 was offline.

The support tool from Symantec gave that the deduplicationm service was not running, but that is correct the service is disabled, ferther some windows updates notifications that the server must be rebooted. ( done already )

I will post here when i have an update.

regards

Jacco

Jacco_Dominicus
Level 3

Hello,

I have an update,

Had to perform a wellness test on the library. Last night the backup has run ok, results of the past 2 months show that is will be ok for a day or 3 -5 and then the errors come back.

Hp support will replace hardware if the problem occurs again.

Regards and thanks for your support,

Jacco Dominicus

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Cool Jacco,

If that works, please close this off by marking the solution once you haver verified the issue.

Jacco_Dominicus
Level 3

Hello Craig,

I will mark it as solltion, because hp will replace hardware if the problem comes back again.

Kind regards,

Jacco Dominicus