cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec 2010 R3 cannot start services

JDR1990
Level 4

Hi,

Have just installed the latest update on BE 2010 r3 and after rebooting the server am unable to start the Backup Exec Server, Job Engine or Agent Browser services. I have also noticed that the SLQ Backup exec service does not appear in the list of services in order to be able to view its Status!

Also to note - i think this is probably the first time I have rebooted the server since I have moved the location of the Catalogs folder and was wondering maybe if this was related? It seems actually that the contents of the original location of the Backup exec folder is almost empty now with the exception of the License assesment tool?

Regards

Leon

17 REPLIES 17

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

So do you have a CASO environment. Chances are good that your catalogs now sit on the CASO server along with your BEDB data. I've had this happen to me on numerous occassions! It becomes a real mission to fix.

Start by removing the server from the CASO and restarting it if you can. Check to make sure all your services are present and started up, and then open up BEutility.exe and re-add the server to the CASO. Don't choose the option to centralise your data/catalogs information and see if this works.

Thanks!

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Leon,

Go to Services.msc and start the services in following order

SQL Server (BKUPEXEC)

BE Remote Agent service

BE Device and Media service

BE Server Service

BE Job Engine service

BE Agent Browser service

The moving of the Catalogs folder does not affect services in any case. When you say that Backup Exec folder is Empty seems to be of some concern as it means that uninstall of BE was attempted.

Go to properties of any BE service and check the path it is showing where the executable is present. May be BE is installed on some other location.

Also finally try to perform a REPAIR installation of Backup Exec from Add/Remove Programs. Ensure that Anti-virus scanning is disabled for Backup Exec folder (excluded)

Thanks,

-Sush...

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

It is hard to say what might have caused this. However, try and see if you can find the Backup Exec\Data folder and the Catalogs folder somewhere, incase you have changed the default installation path. Also another reboot might work.

Once found, you can manually copy them to another location as a backup and then attempt a repair install of Backup Exec. If it works you can then import the job settings from the data folder and the catalogs from the catalogs folder.

Alternatively, if you are not able to trace the data and catalogs folders at all, see if you had ever performed a backup of these folders while backing up the Filesystem. You can try to restore data and catalogs from this backup once BE is up and running.

JDR1990
Level 4

Hi Craig,

Can you please advise what CASO means?

regards

Leon

JDR1990
Level 4

Hi Sush,

I am not able to see the SQL Server (BACKUPEXEC) service available in the list of services.....

Regards

Leon

Sush---
Level 6

Hello Leon,

By "List of Services" do you mean its not showing up in services.msc inthe windows list.

I had though you are mentioning BE services.

Well, if SQL SERVER (BKUPEXEC) is not listed then has that been uninstalled ?? (Strange !!!)

Thanks,

-Sush...

JDR1990
Level 4

Hi ,

Yes not showing as Available in services.msc... Have just looked in the SQL server Configuration manager and cannot see the related Backup exec database....

It must be uninstalled like you say

Regards

Leon

CraigV

Have you tried to repair your installation through Add/Remove Programs?

JDR1990
Level 4

Craig,

Will try now it seems the most viable solution at present.

Regards

Leon

JDR1990
Level 4

Repair failed and highlighted in Red in the install log it stated "Failure 1 running migration library"...

JDR1990
Level 4

No we are not in a CASO environment....

JDR1990
Level 4

Sush,

i have tried all of your suggestions and the problem still exists.... I definately believe it is an SQL issue...

Any further suggestions?

Regards

Leon

JDR1990
Level 4

I excluded the Symantec Folder as suggested by sush and ran the repair again. This time it was successful however the issue still remains....

Any further suggestions?

Sush---
Level 6

Hello Leon,

As you mentioned that the Backup Exec folder is empty which means that and uninstall was attempted.

If by any chance you find the DATA and the CATALOGS folder then keep a copy of it at some other location. 

Then uninstall BE completely from the server. If it fails to uninstall from Add/Remove program then use this technote to manually remove it

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH50720  : How to manually uninstall Backup Exec for Windows Servers (BEWS) 12.5 and below.

Then after rebooting the server again install Backup Exec. If you have the DATA and the CATALOGS folder then you can replace the new one with the older copy. If the DATA and CATALOGS folder is not present then you can start right from scratch about creating new backup jobs and running them.

Thanks,

-Sush...

CraigV

...remove that BE patch, restart the server and see if this fixes your issue. If it does, you can always reinstall it.

JDR1990
Level 4

Will try that later Craig many thanks.

My concern at the minute though is that when I open the SQL server configuration Manager the Backup exec instance does not appear under the SQL server services available....  also when I click refresh in the windows it produces and error message that states "not enough storage is availalble to complete this operation (0x8007000e)." I have checked storage on the server and all of the partitions have plenty of free space (assuming that is what the error is relating to)

CraigV

Does your server have enough resources RAM and CPU-wise?