cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec 2010 SQL job completed with exception not backup transaction log SQL

theseng99
Level 4

Hello,

My SQL job is not backup transaction log. How can we fix this error? this is exception log.

This exception occur on everyday on Full backup of a SQL database. If it is not backup transaction log, I think it unable to restore all SQL data. (database and transaction log should be backup at the same time)

Click an exception below to locate it in the job log

Backup- server\aaa
V-79-40960-37914 - Database aaa is configured to maintain transaction logs.
Transaction log backups ...
will result in the log growing to fill all available disk space.  Regular log 
backups should be sch...

This solution is not help me. It does not make sense that we need to backup log on SQL Server again.

and it's not sharepoint server.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH126063

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Correct, you can do a transaction log backup which will clear the logs, or clear the logs within the SQL Server.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Double post ?
See your other topic:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-exec-2010-r2-error-when-backup-sql-2005

This is BY DESIGN.....This exception is designed to help customers manage the size of SQL databases and transaction logs.

This exception is generated after a backup has been performed of SQL databases that are set with a Recovery Method of "Full".  This exception will not occur on every backup of a SQL database.  This exception is generated after 11 Full backups of SQL Databases, the 12th backup will display this error message.

Please refer to the following technote

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH126063 : A database backup ends with the following exception: V-79-40960-37914 - Database DATABASENAME is configured to maintain transaction logs. Transaction log backups are not being performed. This will result in the log growing to fill all available disk space. 

------------------

Addidtion:

Create an extra backup job, and under Settings - Microsoft SQL - select Backup Method: Log - Back up Transaction log.

This will create a backup of your Transaction logs and flush them after a backup.

RRE
Level 6

Hi there ,

Full backup will not flush the logs , You need to perform a LOG backup so that the logs will get flushed

Read this document

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH126063

Regards

RRE

theseng99
Level 4

I am wonder because of old version backup exec 12.5, I create only 1 SQL job backup and can backup database and log. why backup exec 2010 need to separate database 1 job and transaction log 1 job?

I would like to backup database and log on 1 job. Could it be possible. it will be easy for me if  it can backup SQL database and log in 1 job.

or if we can setup 1 job and backup database then backup log immediately in same tape. Please guide me step by step how to do that. I don't know how to config about policy and template.

thank you.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

As far as I know this was also the case with Backup Exec 12.5

theseng99
Level 4

As I though, database and log should be backup at same time is the best. If I backup database and wait until it finish. may be 3-4 hours later then I backup transaction log It may have some error when restore.

Am I correct?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

It has been this way since v7 and SQL7

And has never made any sense to me.  In SQL 6 and 7 (the last time I was directly supporting SQL, the Microsoft Backup would grab both the Databases and Logs AND clear the logs

BackupExec has always grabed both the databases and logs, but has never cleared the logs unless you run a Log file only backup and specify clear the logs

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It could be that the warning to clear the transaction logs is added for BE 2010 and is not present in BE 12.5.  As far as I can recall, BE never clear the logs when you do a database backup.

The transaction logs are used for point-in-time restore of the database.  If you don't do point-in-time restore, then you don't have to restore the logs.  You just restore from your database backup.  There is no harm in backing up transaction logs at a different time from the database backup.  There are some installations which do daily database backups and hourly transaction log backups.  The two backups are not related to each other and can  be done at different times.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Exactly, and if you don't need point-in-time restores and the database is not very important you can switch to recovery model simple. Then there are no logfiles created. Offcourse a restore will always be te latested backup, there will be no logs that can be replayed.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Before you switch the recovery mode to simple, I would suggest that you talk to your SQL Administrator first.

theseng99
Level 4

Ok.  I would like to ask last one. from my report backup. that mean it has been backup database and log already. but it only report that log hasn't been cleared. Am I correct? because from this report I think log has not been backup. so I am confuse about it.

V-79-40960-37914 - Database aaa is configured to maintain transaction logs.
Transaction log backups ...

I think this is not big problem. I can run clear log command on SQLServer job.

Am I correct? Please confirm it.

thank you.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Correct, you can do a transaction log backup which will clear the logs, or clear the logs within the SQL Server.