cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec 2010 r2 error when backup sql 2005

theseng99
Level 4

Hello,

I found error when backup SQL Server 2005 by Backup exec 2010 as below. anybody know how to fix it?

and I have attached picture my SQL job config. Please guide me with correct setup.

thank you.

Backup- server\sql
V-79-40960-37914 - Database xxx is configured to maintain transaction logs. Transaction log backups ...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

This is BY DESIGN.....This exception is designed to help customers manage the size of SQL databases and transaction logs.

This exception is generated after a backup has been performed of SQL databases that are set with a Recovery Method of "Full".  This exception will not occur on every backup of a SQL database.  This exception is generated after 11 Full backups of SQL Databases, the 12th backup will display this error message.

Please refer to the following technote

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH126063 : A database backup ends with the following exception: V-79-40960-37914 - Database DATABASENAME is configured to maintain transaction logs. Transaction log backups are not being performed. This will result in the log growing to fill all available disk space.

Thanks,

-Sush...

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Doing a full backup of a SQL database does not truncate the transaction logs.  You have to run another job to backup the transaction logs and truncate them. In the SQL section of your job properties, select "Log - Back up transaction log." as the SQL backup method.

theseng99
Level 4

Can we do truncate SQL by one job. It doesn't make sense if I would like to use Full Backup everyday and run another job for backup log for truncate.

Sush---
Level 6

This is BY DESIGN.....This exception is designed to help customers manage the size of SQL databases and transaction logs.

This exception is generated after a backup has been performed of SQL databases that are set with a Recovery Method of "Full".  This exception will not occur on every backup of a SQL database.  This exception is generated after 11 Full backups of SQL Databases, the 12th backup will display this error message.

Please refer to the following technote

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH126063 : A database backup ends with the following exception: V-79-40960-37914 - Database DATABASENAME is configured to maintain transaction logs. Transaction log backups are not being performed. This will result in the log growing to fill all available disk space.

Thanks,

-Sush...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you are backing up the transaction logs on a daily, they are normally quite small and backing them up should not take long.

WATC
Level 3

If you just don't want to back up the transaction logs, you can set the recovery model for all your databases to 'simple'. In this case, performing a full backup will essentially flush the transaction log at the same time. You do this through SQL Server Management Studio - right-click the database, select Properties, open the Options page, and select "Simple" from the Recovery Model dropdown.

I would only recommend doing that if your databases are small enough that you can regularly do full backups of them. I have jobs set up to run full backups every night, and transaction log backups every hour, which gives us only a small window where data would be lost if the database exploded.

theseng99
Level 4

So this exception is not effect to our restore job, isn't it? If so, I will leave it.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It will not affect your restore, but your transaction logs will keep growing.  When they are full, you would not be able to update your database.

Sush---
Level 6

Right. This exception will not affect the restore. But I would recemmend that you perform a log backup for following reason.

This exception is designed to help customers manage the size of SQL databases and transaction logs. Symantec recommends scheduling regular log backups of databases this will help keep the transaction logs at a manageable size.

Thanks,

-Sush...