cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec 2010

Anshul_Tyagi
Level 3

I need a solution for my company data backup. i want to keep only one month(4 week)data backup with weekly full and daily incremental backup. I am using a NAS drive for data backup. I have configured backup to disk setup on media server now i want a solution for creating media set to keep only one month data backup and automatic recycle old data backup.

Kindly give any solution.

11 REPLIES 11

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Give a read here: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/faq-how-configure-media-setsb2d-jobs-and-backup-exec-proper-management-disk-space-while-using-

Do you want to keep your daily incremental backups also for a month?

I do not see any good reason for keeping those for that long, as you will be taking FULL backup every week. If you do not have any specific requirement to keep incrementals also for a month, keep them for a week.

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

In the properties of the Media set select the Append Period as 0 days and select the Overwrite Protection Period as 4 weeks.

Whats this will do is keep your Full backups for 4 weeks and also keep the Incremental for 4 weeks. From my point of view its important to keep the Incremental for 4 weeks too as that will give you the flexibility to restore to any point in the middle of the week if required.

Also ensure that the job sare set to Overwrite media as that will create new medias for every backup and then after 4 weeks overwrite the expired media.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Anshul_Tyagi
Level 3

Thanks Sush...

My another query is that, will i have to create two different media set(one for weekly and one for daily) with this setting.

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

As the Overwrite Protection Period (OPP) is same for Full as well as Incremental then I don't think there is any need to create different Medias set.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If you decide to keep both FULL and Incremental backups to 4 weeks, i believe choosing an OPP of 27 days would work better. With 28 days, 5th FULL backup do not overwrite 1st FULL but 24th Incremental does.

EDIT:

ELSE

Go ahead and configure 34 days OPP, with which you can have 4 COMPLETE weeks backup at any given time.

Anshul_Tyagi
Level 3

Hi,

I am using different polices for every pc and server and have created two different template one for montly full backups and one for daily incremental backup for evey policy. i want to know that could i use only one media set for evey backup policy job.

Thanks,

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

As the retention requirements of monthly and daily backups differs, you must use two different media sets. If the backup startegy is same for all the servers, then you can use one media set for all daily incremental templates and another media set for all monthly full templates.

Anshul_Tyagi
Level 3

Hi Kiran,

I want to keep one month data backup from the first date of every month to last date and then auto recycle of media after keepping one month data backup on my storage. I have created two media sets one for monthly full backup and one for daily incremental backup.

I want to know what will be OPP and AP in this case and how will i configure backup jobs schedule for it.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Saying a month of retention is a bit away from practice because all the months do not have same number of days. So i will provide the settings for keeping daily incremental backups for 30 days and overwriting the oldest media from there on. 

Daily media set: OPP 29 days AP 0 Hour. Start jobs as Overwrite Only. 

Set the media management setting to "Overwrite recyclable media in target media set before overwriting SCRATCH media".

You didnot mentioned how much time you want to keep your monthly full backups.

If it is 2 months keep OPP 35 days AP 0 Hours (OPP Any thing more than a month, consider 31 days while calculating this)

4 months OPP 95 days AP 0 Hours. (OPP More than 3 months)

Anshul_Tyagi
Level 3

Hi Kiran,

I have configured OPP 5 weeks and AP 0 hours for my both 'daily incremental, and 'full media sets, and have selected "Overwrite recyclable media contained in the targeted media set before overwriting scratch media". and i have configured daily incremental backup jobs for monday to friday.

now i want know about full backp jobs, should it be configured on any one day of the month or every weekend of month.

How will i schedule it?

Thanks,

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If you configure Daily incrementals to retain 5 weeks, not much use in taking Weekly backups. (vice versa) When it comes to restore, you have to mess with 31 backups around with daily incremental and monthly full configuration.

If you want GFS kind of rotation, Configure daily incrementals with 7 days retetion weekly full backups with 2 weeks retention Monthly full backups with 3 moths retention. (If your client/company have some policy to keep yearly backups to keep forever, you can configure that also.) 

Personally i prefer Daily Incr, Weekly Full and Monthly Full strategy. Logic to define OPP, AP and other configuration like starting job and media management setting remains same.

Hope this is clear...