cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec 2012 failing to convert backup to virtual

ashwincs
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Backup to virtual or physical to virtual keeps failling with the following error " Failed to create the standby virtual machine required for warm conversion"

21 REPLIES 21

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

What is the version of ESX & what is the h/w version too is that 7 or 8

Thanks

ashwincs
Level 3
Partner Accredited

It's ESXi 4.1.0 and supports Virtual machine versions 4 and 7

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Are you using updated Vmware tools because while doing P2V we need to give the path of Vmware tool so ensure you have updated vmware tool

Thanks

ashwincs
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Yes I'm using the latest tools iso downloaded from this location

http://packages.vmware.com/tools/esx/latest/windows/x64/index.html

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

In this case would request you to open a case with Symantec so that they can have a look to investigate it further

Thanks

ashwincs
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Ok, Thanks

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Once the issue is resolved don't forget to update it here so anyone having same issue would have solution too

Thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Ashwin,

How is your job set up? Put those settings in here...

Also, have you tried to create a new job for your P2V?

ashwincs
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi Craig,

Here are the settings

Yes, I have tried with a new job, the result is the same.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...have you tried to point it to your vCenter server instead of the host?

Altimate1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi,

I'm wondering either or not the lastest vmware tool iso image (for vsphe re 5) is appropriate as your ESX are vSphere 4.

I would suggest testing with vmware tools iso image grabbed from on of your ESX. (under /vmimages/tools-isoimages search for OS relevant image like windows.iso).

Regards

Alan_Chan1
Level 2

Hi all,

I have a similar issue here.

My enviroment is with 2 x ESXi 5 and vCenter. Trying to backup a physical server with BE2012 to duduplication folder and at the same time perform a P2V. The P2V job pointed to the vCenter server. 

The backup seems fine, I can restore items from the disk backup.

The VM created successfully, and the vmdk consumed disk space similar to the original disk.

After the backup job completed, however, we got the following error:

Job ended: Monday, May 07, 2012 at 3:39:06 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000a432 - Failed to open the iso file.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-42034

I have tried both iso downloaded from Vmware website and the ESXi server, both failed.

Hope someone got a solution.

Thanks all.

Altimate1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi, dis you try (re)naming the vmware tools iso file: "windows.iso" instead of "Vmware-tools....iso"?

BTW (important): As far as I'm aware, the iso should be located onto a LOCAL disk on the BE server (not a remote path/unc).

Regards

Alan_Chan1
Level 2
Hi Bernard, I have tried with the ISO downloaded from ESXi which named window.iso but still failed. I can try to rename the ISO downloaded from VMware. The UNC path is used even local disk path is selected. Thanks.

Altimate1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Did you also try creating a VM after the backup (or from an existing backup)?

BTW: you are right, path is defined as UNC... \\myBEserver\C:\bme\windows.iso here also (automatically filled after browsing for the iso on a local disk).

Regards

mreeves
Level 2
Partner Accredited

I have been having the same problems today and I was wondering if anyone had any additional information.

During my testing in I have noticed a few interesting things.. When the conversion occurs, BE does log in successfully to the ESXi box and it also lists the following "Find entity by inventory path".

Based upon the path provided in the BE logs, I think that there may be an issue with the path being passed to VMware.. VMVCB::\\\\<servername>\VCGuestVm\(DC)ha-datacenter(DC)\vm\<new host name>

Looking forward to seeing more info on this problem.

Altimate1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi,

May I suggest try puting the vmwaretools.iso file inside a subfolder (not directly at C:\ root level).

At my side when I tested at root level, I got this entry in the BE job log:

VirtualDiskPathName=""

While placed inside a subfolder (it worked fine) and log contains:

VirtualDiskPathName="C:\bme\"

Regards

mreeves
Level 2
Partner Accredited

I had the same exact thought, but it did not resolve the issue. I created a folder on the root of c:\ and moved the iso file to that location. For testing pruposes, I gave full access utilizing Everyone for the share and security settings. Same error is still ocrruing.

Altimate1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Does BE log file reflect the change? (changing from "" to "C:\folder_name\").

Here, I'm working with a vCenter 4 (not directly Esx) and remember that defining same pwd for both vCenter and BEserver fixed things in the past.

I tested it also directly to ESX and it worked fine.

Here are settings from the PV2 xml job log:

ResourceName="VMVCB::\\\\10.7.1.13\VCGuestVm\(DC)ha-datacenter(DC)\vm\VM-BE2010R3-reco-testing1"
HostName="VMVCB::\\10.7.1.13\VCHost\ha-host\(DC)ha-datacenter(DC)\host\esx13.symzone.net\esx13.symzone.net"
DatastoreName="[SANStor1] - Available MB: 686179(4d7513ae-0b11262c-6f1f-0017a477002a)"

Which looks close yours.

Regards