cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec 2012 with old email server

happytree87
Level 3

Hi,

I have been trying to catalog an old exchange image file but the job failed. If I can pass the catalog then I would be able to restore to pst files without having to restore it to a new mail server since the old one has been decomission. Below is a small snaptop of the error.

Job Completion Status
Job ended: Tuesday, 2 October 2012 at 11:14:56 a.m.
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00084b7 - A backup set was created which contains no data. See the job log for details.
Final error category: Job Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33975

Exceptions
Click an exception below to locate it in the job log

Catalog- EXCHANGE SERVER
V-79-57344-3844 - The Backup Exec server was unable to connect to the Remote Agent on machine RESTORE SERVER

The exchange server doesnt exist anymore since we moved everyone to a new mail server. Is there anyway of restoring emails without having to use an agent through backup exec? It will be greatly appreciated if someone can point me to the right direction.

Cheers,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Regarding the catalog job failure, try unchecking the option "use storage media based catalogs" from Tools - Options - Catalogs & re-run the catalog job..

And yes, the destination machine needs to have a remote agent installed prior to the restore...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

First of all you can only restore to PST if backup was taken by BE 2012 for your exchange if it was taken by old backup exec version and now you trying to restore that with BE 2012 to restore as PST it is not going to work ,but you can still perfrom email restore but for which we need exchange licesne and agent installed on the server were you want to restore emails

Thanks

VJware
Level 6

Regarding the catalog job failure, try unchecking the option "use storage media based catalogs" from Tools - Options - Catalogs & re-run the catalog job..

And yes, the destination machine needs to have a remote agent installed prior to the restore...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

I strongly suggest that you go and check this document below. What you're saying is that if you had a previous version of Exchange and BE, and upgraded to something like Exchange 2010 and BE 2012 your Exchange restores are pretty much useless unless you have to have another Exchange server running the previous version of Exchange?

Seems strange that Symantec would therefore design an application that is not backwards compatible...

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH191622

This document clearly states that BE 2012 will restore any version of Exchange from previous versions as long as it was done with GRT!

lmosla
Level 6

Hi,

With Backup Exec 2012 you can restore Exchange from previous versions of Backup Exec as long as the restore is from a complete backup of the Exchange server, there is an environment with the previous version of the Exchange server and at least one domain controller with the Active Directory objects from the time frame exists.

The following document describes this. http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH195159

hope this helps

Colin_Weaver

I think we need to know what version of BE and what version of Exchange the backup was made on.

In theory as long as an Information store backup was performed with GRT enabled using BE 12.5 or 2010 then you should be able to restore to PST in 2012 - as long as the target system for the PST has a compatible version of Outlook installed and has the 2012 remote agent running.

happytree87
Level 3

VJware's solution works. I dont need the agent from the old server as Im using the new exchange server to restore the emails. Unfortunately the pst restore doesnt work because of the agent doesn't exist anymore which I'm ok with. As long as I can restore old exchange's emails to the mailbox on the new server,That's  the most important thing at the end of the day. 

Thanks everyone :)