Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec 2014 for Vmare 5 VSphere Free Licensed version

glibrec
Level 2

Hello,

I just purchase Backup Exec 2014 as said It support Esxi

But, I would like to know if it (BE 2014 )can backup Vmware Vpshere Esxi 5 virtuel machines ;  we have 3 vm

Beacause we have free licensed version of Vsphere as we do not have lot of VM and ressources.

Also, Will it backup also the Vpshere OS or only the VM on it.

Thank's for help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If these VM's have applications like Exchange, SQL Server databases which you want to backup, then you need to get 1 Agent for Applications and Databases licence for each application/database in each machine.  Since Agent for Applications and Databases licence comes with the remote agent licence, you do not need to get the remote agent licence for this machine.

If you want to back up the VM's as VM's, you need get a paid version of ESX and a VMware agent licence for the VM host.  This will allow you to recover the VM's by just restoring their vmdk's.  Without the VMware licence, you need to backup the VM's as if they are physical machines and recovery of these machines are more difficult.

Before buying any licences, you should confirm your requirements with the Symantec Licencing department.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

lmosla
Level 6

Backup Exec is limited from protecting the free versions of ESXi machines because the storage api's are not enabled.  Please refer to this discussion (even though it is Backup Exec 2012 it is still applicable) https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-exec-support-esxi-free

teiva-boy
Level 6

The free version of vSPhere lacks the backup API's called VADP.

As such, you must treat each VM guest as a physical machine, and install an agent on there.  It'll be cheaper for you anyways this way, with only 3 guests.  Thus you only need to buy backupexec to protect 3 clients.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If these VM's have applications like Exchange, SQL Server databases which you want to backup, then you need to get 1 Agent for Applications and Databases licence for each application/database in each machine.  Since Agent for Applications and Databases licence comes with the remote agent licence, you do not need to get the remote agent licence for this machine.

If you want to back up the VM's as VM's, you need get a paid version of ESX and a VMware agent licence for the VM host.  This will allow you to recover the VM's by just restoring their vmdk's.  Without the VMware licence, you need to backup the VM's as if they are physical machines and recovery of these machines are more difficult.

Before buying any licences, you should confirm your requirements with the Symantec Licencing department.

glibrec
Level 2

Thank you all and mostly @Pkh

You are right. I should had done more research before buying it.

On other side, can I can install BE agent on vpshere linux server so I can backup all files not just one vm at a time.

Thank you.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No.  BE does not have anything to install on the VMware host, even when you buy the VMware agent.

When you use the VMware agent, it can backup all the VM's on the host at one go.

glibrec
Level 2

Thank's for the answer.

So, what you can purpose / to consider to backup my 2-3 vm which are in Vmware Esxi

Thank's

pkh
   VIP    Certified
If you don't want to get the VMware agent, then buy the remote agent and back up the VM's as if they are physical machines