cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec 2014 labelling problem

Fatih_Ozata
Level 3

I’m using back up exec 2014 .Can I relabel the full back up tape without deleting the tape?

The tape that I use is LTO6.

It says if I click the label button on Back up exec 2014, you’ll delete the tape.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If you choose "Label" it will write the new label to the tape and erase the media immediately. The alternatively is to rename in such a manner (Verbatim from Admin Guide): -

1) On the Storage tab, right-click the tape drive or slot that contains the media that you want to relabel, and then click Details.
2) In the left pane, click Media Properties.
3) In the Media label field, enter a new label name.
4) To change the description, enter a new description in the Media description field.
5) Click Apply.

This is what happens when you follow the above steps:-

You can rename a tape media's label and description. The new label is not written to the tape media until an overwrite operation occurs. All of the data that is on the media is preserved until the next overwrite job. However, the new media label is stored in the database and is displayed for that media.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If you choose "Label" it will write the new label to the tape and erase the media immediately. The alternatively is to rename in such a manner (Verbatim from Admin Guide): -

1) On the Storage tab, right-click the tape drive or slot that contains the media that you want to relabel, and then click Details.
2) In the left pane, click Media Properties.
3) In the Media label field, enter a new label name.
4) To change the description, enter a new description in the Media description field.
5) Click Apply.

This is what happens when you follow the above steps:-

You can rename a tape media's label and description. The new label is not written to the tape media until an overwrite operation occurs. All of the data that is on the media is preserved until the next overwrite job. However, the new media label is stored in the database and is displayed for that media.