cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec 2016 Trial

Dougm68
Level 2

I am trying to backup my server and having difficulty getting the desired results.

I created a job that will back up the entire data partition of 4 Tb once a month.   (takes about 2 days to complete)

I then have a differential back up running once a day for the differential backups.

The problem I'm having is that the differentials seem to be doing a full backup as well. The differentials are taking days to complete rather than what should be a few minutes.

I want to use BackupExec but will not buy until I know this is not an issue with the software.

See attached configuration screenshots.

Windows Server 2012 Standard Data Server

3 REPLIES 3

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Are you backing up internal disk drives from a server?

Your issue sounds like known functionality when backing up a NAS via CIFS due to the lack of a BE agent on the NAS.

I'm backing up internal disk from the server to external USB storage connected to the same server. I don't understand why that would treat the differential like a full BU. Not using backup agent. Thank you for your response. Also, I have backup exec 15 running on another machine. Maybe I should just purchase an agent license and let it handle the backup since it does differential backups properly.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Differential backup is a fundamental type of backup and does not change from one BE version to another.

There are a variety of reasons why a differential/incremental backup can become a full backup.  For example, an AV scan can change the files so that they are marked for backups.  You got to start with something small and investigate what is happening before backing up TB's of data.