cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec 21.4 pvlsvr SQL.log on Root of C

Nick177
Level 2

After doing a fresh install of Backup Exec 21.4 my backup exec server creates an SQL.LOG file on the root of my server. This file continues to grow to point its 75GB large. I have to kill all the backup exec services before deleting this SQL.Log TXT file to save my C drive from filling up.  What would cause this SQL.txt to be generated? Why does it continue to grow? The SQL.Log file is created once the following service starts: "Backup Exec Device & Media Service".  Examples of the data inside of this SQL.Log file: 

pvlsvr    1ddc-58c   EXIT SQLBindCOL with return code 0  (SQL_SUCCESS)

HSTMT 0x0000021001347B10
                 UWORD      6
                 SWORD    -8  <sql_c_wchar>
                PTR               0x0000005d18fcd51e
                SQLLEN
                SQLLEN

3 REPLIES 3

RogRubin
Employee

FYI - the entry you posted from the log -> pvlsvr; this is the "Backup Exec Device & Media Service"; so this makes sense.

The only thing I can think of that this could be related too; that you are using a specific SQL instance for our database and not our default SQL Express installation and the log file increases as it cannot be truncated.

I think you need to check where did you install our database into (SQL) and how your SQL is configured, my guess is currently that you might have SQL log file location of your SQL configured to be on C:.

I have been looking at the settings and I can't seem to find anything that would point to the root of the C drive. I used the defaults from the installer to create a SQL express on the same server. Is there somewhere you suggest I review?  I have looked at the SQL 2014: "SQL Server Configuration Manager". I can see SQL Server (BKUPEXEC) running.  Right click and checking properties, all the file paths are in the following folder: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL12.BKUPEXEC\MSSQL"  any other locations or settings to check? I really don't want to reinstall if I don't have to. I have about 50 servers being backup right now. 

RogRubin
Employee

Have you managed to sort this or identify the root cause and if so would you be so kind and share that in case another person runs into the same issue.
If it still exist then I would suggest you install SQL Management Studio and connect to the instance and check the settings that way.