cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec 8.6

shirmal
Level 5

hi guys,
I have installed backup exec 8.6 in windows server 2000. And I have created a daily backup, it has to overwrite the media. I have removed the media ovewrite protction (NONE). But when the backup job starts, it gives an alert messages "Overwrite media protection for allocated media is configured", Respond OK. Why this happen ? My backup job starts at 9.30PM in the night. When I open the backup exec console on the following day morning, It shows two jobs in my active monitor, One is completed 100%, otherone is also shows as completed, but 99%, it's status is running! and with the aleart messge to respond!! what is this any why is this ? any idea...

--cheers

shirmal
4 REPLIES 4

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
You must have "prompt before overwriting" option selected. Uncheck that to avoid the alert from coming up. Please note that this is not a recommended way to not have any overwrite protection period. You can go through following document for more details on overwrite protection period:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/192265

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks

shirmal
Level 5

hi, Thanks for your reply. But I have not setup any media protection  level. It's set to None. So why is this always prompted? And also I have anothe issue. I'm using both veritas backup exec veriosn 8.6 and 9.1 (in two sites). Both are running in windows server 2000. (In server 2000 Active directory domain). In my both veritas servers, I have setup daily data backups jobs to run every night. They have been setup to start in the night.  In the morning, when I open veritas console, I can see there is one backup job is still running. (It's status is active). But the backup job I have setup has run and completed successfully. Please have a look into the image (This image is taken in veritas 8.6) and find the last two backup jobs. I have not setup the data to be verified after backing up. Then what is this Active-completed Job type = Completed) -still running job?? That job also has started at the same time when my copleted job (Class = Completed) has started.

veritas.JPG

I have the same problem in the veritas 9.1 too. I'm new to veritas. Your quick advise will be very highly appriciated. Thanks

shirmal

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If you REALLY want to overwrite whatever tape volume is  mounted (why?)

Set the Global Overwrite Protection to FULL or PARTIAL, then set the media set OPP(s) as low as it will go (1 minute for v8.6, I think)

shirmal
Level 5
still I haven't got a proper answer for my issue!!