cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec GFS rotation with a tape library.

ajcc22
Level 4

Ok, im new to this...

Situation:

Tanberg 22 slot tape library and 2 tape drives.

Backup exec 2010 r3 sp1

How do i set the backup so that i can get it to do GFS rotation and select the correct tape from the correct slot in the library.

I have never used this product before and therefore have no idea where to start. I have managed to get the backup to do a full backup of all the servers and network drives, do a restore from this backup and it all seems to work fine. However i dont know where to start with setting up a GFS rotation.

Alan.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ajcc22
Level 4

cont.......or do i lets say have a slot partition of 8 slots, containing 8 tapes, 2 for each weekly full.

Have a job that rights the data to one tape and another job writing to another tape in that partition.

Having the overwrite set to 1 week and appent to one day, the system should choose the next two tapes the following week, so during 4 weeks the system should have gone throught all the tape in the slot partition.

Is that correct.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

You'd create a selection list...preferably seperate DBs and data from each other. This allows you to use AOFO with data, and to back up DBs without it.

You can consider partitioning your library into 3 seperate partitions. Some people advocate allowing your media sets to manage which tapes are used, but I like partitioning as it is both a logical, and physical way of splitting the library up.

Next you'd create a GFS job which allows you to specific the name, media set (whether existing or new) and time of the backup etc. At the end of this process it asks for a selection list.

Lastly, get a hold of the Admin Guide...it's got a lot more information and information.

Read the articles below for further info:

http://astolstechblog.blogspot.com/2010/10/create-policy-based-grandfather-father.html

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH6576

Thanks!

ajcc22
Level 4

Thanks for the quick reply i think the partitioning idea is the best for us.

Thanks and ill let you know how i get on......Happy new year.

alan.

ajcc22
Level 4

Can you clarify this  "You'd create a selection list...preferably seperate DBs and data from each other. This allows you to use AOFO with data, and to back up DBs without it."

I have created a selection list with all the servers (c drives,system states and shadow copies) and network locations, some of the servers have SQL running and Exchange but we currently dont have the agents to back them up, just the standard backup agent.

Do you suggest having 2 selection lists, one for data and another for any Databases.

Alan.

CraigV

You can read my article on splitting data and DB backups off from each other on the link below.

Just be aware that without agents for SQL and Exchange for example, you won't be able to back them up at all. You won't be shown those applications in your selection list.

You can invoke a trial license that lasts 90 days while waiting for your production licenses, but without agents, the only way to back up the applications will be to take the application offline and then back up the flat-files.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/backing-databases-and-files-same-tape-separate-jobs-using-backup-exec

ajcc22
Level 4

HI, the previous version of backup exec 12.5 we used was setup to backup the DBs and exchange and had no other agents other than the basic agent. Does that meant that none of the info was backup up or is this someting new when you run AOFO. if its just when running AOFO, if disabled will it copy the DBs and exchange.

Just for info i have just got this job and the backup system is a mess and is one of my first major jobs to sort out...........bugger....lol

alan.

CraigV

No it doesn't mean you can't restore anything, and I used to do that in the past. However, more and more it's recommended to not use AOFO when backing up DBs, hence splitting your backups.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

To implement your GFS scheme, there is a sample policy.  Look for it in the Job Setup tab.

ajcc22
Level 4

"To implement your GFS scheme, there is a sample policy".....thanks, i have seen it, the problem was the partitioning which i think i understand now.

Another problem now is that there is another tape drive in the unit so i have been asked to get that running concurrently.

So my idea is to have 2 selection lists (Got this idea from CraigV..thanks) and point them at different tape partition so they run at the same time (this works as i have tested it).

However to get this to work it looks like i will need separate jobs for each weekly full and monthly full making lots of jobs.

Have i explained it clearly......:-(

Any ideas.

ajcc22
Level 4

cont.......or do i lets say have a slot partition of 8 slots, containing 8 tapes, 2 for each weekly full.

Have a job that rights the data to one tape and another job writing to another tape in that partition.

Having the overwrite set to 1 week and appent to one day, the system should choose the next two tapes the following week, so during 4 weeks the system should have gone throught all the tape in the slot partition.

Is that correct.