cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec append/overwrite issues

simon238
Level 2

I currently use HP DAT320 tapes for backup, which run daily, which seem to be working fine.

I also have a USB hard drive plugged into the server for hourly backups, this is where I am having issues. Once the harddrive fills up (after about 4 weeks, weekly full, incremental hourly between 9-5 on weekdays) it seems to erase the whole drive. Is there a way to make backup exec only delete as much room as is required by the next full backup? As the tapes only provide data backup for the past couple of days, it would be nice to be able to go back a few weeks on the harddrive.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

All the B2D jobs will work as expected with None Append. 

Create seperate media sets for Full and Incrementals. Full backups None Append. Incrementals 5 days append. So every week 2 bkf files will be created (Again depends on the backup size and bkf file size). One for FULL backups and one for incrementals. While overwriting, all the backups on the disk will not get overwirtten.

Regards....

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If you use Infinite append this will happen. Change the append period to None and choose proper OPP also.Start the B2D jobs as overwrite only. Also change the media management setting to Overwrite Recyclable media in target media set before overwriting scratch media.

BLOG:https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/faq-how-configure-media-setsb2d-jobs-and-backup-exec-proper-management-disk-space-while-using-

Regards...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When setting your OPP, you would need to balance your retention requirement with your disk space.  Suppose you have a 1TB disk and each backup is 150GB, then at most you can only keep 6 backups on your disk.  If you need more copies, then you need to get either another disk or a bigger one.

simon238
Level 2

I think from looking at the link you gave helps me somewhat what I want is

Full backup wk1 > incrementals wk 1> Full backup week 2 > Incrementals week 2 > Full Backup wk3 etc.

However at the moment say when it tries to run  full backup wk3 the disk is full and instead of deleting only data from week 1, the whole drive is erased and the backup begins again.

If I change the append period to 7 days will this work for what I'm after?

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

All the B2D jobs will work as expected with None Append. 

Create seperate media sets for Full and Incrementals. Full backups None Append. Incrementals 5 days append. So every week 2 bkf files will be created (Again depends on the backup size and bkf file size). One for FULL backups and one for incrementals. While overwriting, all the backups on the disk will not get overwirtten.

Regards....

simon238
Level 2

Thanks, have set it up like you said. Is there anyway I can test it without just waiting for a few weeks?

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If you have some test setup you can test it by changing the dates. 

If you have some virtual machine, install BE trial version, create B2D folder media sets jobs and test it.

Otherwise you can check it by changing opp and schedules to hours instead of days.

Regards...