cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec ask for new tape after 26 GB of backup

bru691
Not applicable
On a exchange server, after 26 GB of backup on a Compaq DLT 7000 it ask for a new tape even though the setting has been set to append, overwrite if not.

Hardware compression has been enabled.

Pls help because this is annoying and a waste.
6 REPLIES 6

Robbie
Level 3
The native capacity is 35Gb on one these I beleive, but thats without any catalogue information etc. Since an Exchange DB cannot be compressed (it is already in a compressed format) then I would expect somewhere of between 25Gb->30Gb per tape on one of these devices with Exchange. Perhaps newer veritas drivers might make a difference, but I suspect not.

Rob

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6
The option "Append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is available" is only effective when the jobs starts. As far as I know you cannot change this during a running backup session.

What you could do is change you "Media overwrite protection level " to None and configure "Automated Alert responses" so that Yes or OK is the default action for media insert and overwrite events. That way your current tape/media should be overwriten.
Keep in mind that I never tried this out !

Assuming your are talking about only one tape I wonder why you would overwrite the tape on which you start the backup. That way you cannot recover your Exchange server because you are missing a big part of the Exchange database/mailboxes.

Regards
A van der Boom

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

I wonder why you would overwrite the tape on which you start the backup

You cannot make BackupExec do this, it will refuse with the "This media already contains ... " error

For the original poster

Change the job to "Overwrite" only or move the tape volume to the scratch set before the job starts.

Mike_McKee
Level 2
I had a similar problem and when I changed the backup server to overwrite media, it works like a champ.

I was using "Append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is available" and I found my jobs stoping at wierd times. When I would put in a second tape it would finish the print job. When I changed the setting it now does everything on a single tape.

I was using a DTL with 160G native storage. I was backing up 140G of data, and it was stopping at between 80 and 100 Gig.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hi,

Please let us know if you have followed the steps mentioned earlier and whether it has resolved your issue.

If the issue still persists, please let us know the latest updates.

Thanks.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be "assumed answered" and archived.

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
Archiving the post as per our previous reply