cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec cannot read encrypted tape

tniemuth
Level 3

We are using an HP MSL4048 tape library with backup exec.  We have the encryption key (usb stick) that we use with the tape library to encrypt the tapes.  When you plugin the key you have to login to the web gui for the tape library and enter the associated password with the key in order to enable encryption and allow symantec to use the tape library.

Anyway this has been working fine without a hitch for about 2 years now.  However, I have the need to go back and restore from our last yearly tape backup (3 months ago) and Symantec says it cannot read the data on the tape.  It then retires the tape and labels it as encrypted media.  Whats wierd is that I am able to restore from a tape from 2 months ago without an issue.

Any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Does that library web interface show which tapes are encrypted?

Is there any chance that the recent backups were made without encryption, which allows them to be restored?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Any specific reason for not using Backup Exec to manage the encryption keys ?

Afaik, when using the vendor's library encryption in this manner, the encryption/decryption process are out of BE's scope. What is the error logged in the job log ? Did you consult with HP regarding this error ?

tniemuth
Level 3

This is what our hardware vendor recommended and setup for us about 3 years ago.  No specific reason that I know of that they went with HP's hardware encryption vs Symantec's software encryption.  Not sure if they thought this was an easier solution to manage or had some sort of performance benefit?  Again, it has been working fine ever since it has been setup.  I've dont multiple restores from tape in the past without a hiccup.

When I run the job I get an informational message saying the tape has been moved to the retired media set because backup exec cannot recognize the data on the tape.  It says for more information see V-275-1143.  Then I get a warning message saying please insert that tape.  It is already there but I am guessing because it is in the retired media set it ignores it.  When I try to inventory that slot/tape the job fails with error 0xe0008131 - A job failure occurred due to a Library-Managed Encryption (LME) system failure).

I just wasn't sure if it was an HP problem or a Symantec problem.  I have a feeling HP will tell me it is a Symantec problem since I can restore from tapes from last month just fine.  I suppose I will give them a call and see what they say.  I'll report back.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You can use hardware encryption with BE as well, difference being BE will manage the passphrase.

In your case, try the following -

Stop all BE services. Disable and Re-enable the hardware encryption from the library's UI. Restart all BE services. Run an inventory of the tape and check if it can be restored.

If not, then logging a case with HP should help.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Does that library web interface show which tapes are encrypted?

Is there any chance that the recent backups were made without encryption, which allows them to be restored?

tniemuth
Level 3

Larry!  My man!  You rock!  Even though I entered the encryption key to enable encyption the drive was not using encryption.  After I turned on encryption on the drive I was able to inventory the tape and restore the data.  You saved me a whole bunch of headache and time.