cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec client for Windows / Linux servers

Michama2012
Level 3

Hi,

I never thought about it more than few seconds but now I was asked to say why do we need a Backup exec Agent in addition to the Symantec backup exec software already installed on a backup server.

So, I realy would like to understand why do I need an Agent if I have the main software installed ?

There is a vague explanation I see in Symantec site but it is realy does not provide a real technical answer. Here it is:

Provides high-performance protection for 32-bit and 64-bit Linux servers with support for both Intel and AMD 32-bit and 64-bit processors. This agent extends Backup Exec’s advanced agent technology to Linux operating systems by providing full, incremental, and differential backup support, restore capabilities and client-side deduplication for supported distributions of Linux.

Please note: Deduplication requires the Deduplication Option to be licensed on the Backup Exec Server.

Your input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Michael,

Yes, I am very sure. No RAWS agent is required for the media server. A server like a file server or DC would require a RAWS license which you'd purchase from Symantec, and push-install the agent to the server in question.

A server like an Exchange agent needs the Exchange agent license to backup the application, but this license covers a RAWS agent license as well...

So again, for the media server, no additional RAWS agent is required as the base application license covers this.

Your error might have been related to something else. You'd need to go back and see what it is moaning about in the job log. Might be an SQL DB for example that you're still trying to backup, and your 90-day trial license has expired. In this case, go to your selection list and edit the resource out.

Thanks!

EDIT: Download the licensing guide below for further information:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH125462

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

CraigV

...the RAWS agent facilitates communication between the server and the software. Uninstall RAWS off your media server or even disable it, and you won't be able to backup the media server, much less communicate with remote servers.

There is no license for the RAWS agent on the media server as it is already built-in.

Thanks!

Michama2012
Level 3

Thanks.

what is RAWS stands for ?

CraigV

Remote Agent for Windows Servers.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Remote Agent for Windows Systems.

Glossary here: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/glossary-make-sense-alphabet-soup

Michama2012
Level 3

Thanks!

R U Sure there is NO license needed for RAWS ?

I Have the following version Backup Exec 2010 R3:

Media Server: version 13.0 Rev. 5204 (64bit), Administration Console: Version 13.0 Rev. 5204 (64bit), Desktop and Laptop Option: Version 3.1 Rev. 3.46.06a

After 3 months of operation the backup exec stopped working and the alerts we received were that the trial license is expired.

​Your Help isappreciatedd.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Michael

CraigV

Hi Michael,

Yes, I am very sure. No RAWS agent is required for the media server. A server like a file server or DC would require a RAWS license which you'd purchase from Symantec, and push-install the agent to the server in question.

A server like an Exchange agent needs the Exchange agent license to backup the application, but this license covers a RAWS agent license as well...

So again, for the media server, no additional RAWS agent is required as the base application license covers this.

Your error might have been related to something else. You'd need to go back and see what it is moaning about in the job log. Might be an SQL DB for example that you're still trying to backup, and your 90-day trial license has expired. In this case, go to your selection list and edit the resource out.

Thanks!

EDIT: Download the licensing guide below for further information:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH125462

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Desktop and Laptop Option: Version 3.1 Rev. 3.46.06a ????

I doubt this installation was done using license/serial given by symantec personnel for DLO testing/POC.

If yes, this will only work for 90 days, same for Symantec DLO 7.

CraigV

...DLO ships with 5 license free...there IS no trial for them. They are useable immediately.

Michama2012
Level 3

Thanks,

Just to be sure I understand.

I have a backup server which Symantec Backup exec is installed on (you refer to it as the Media server).

If I want to backup files and folders (even files and folders which are opened on the servers) from a Linux and/or windows machine (no Exchange, No SQL, just regular file server), then I do NOT need additional licenses for Agent since it is already included in the Media server license ?

Thanks,

Michael

CraigV

Hi Michael,

If you read 1 of my posts above, I mention you don't need a RAWS license for the media server, but for anything else outside of an application server (like Exchange/SQL/Lotus Notes etc) you would need 1 RAWS license PER server.

In your case, if you have 1 other server, and it is WIndows/Linux, then you'd need either a Remote Agent for Windows Servers, or Remote Agent for Linux and Unix Servers, depending on the OS of the server in question you want to backup.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The remote agent, RAWS (Remote Agent for Windows System) or RALUS (Remote Agent for Linux and Unix System), is the engine that actually does the work of backing up your data.  The data is then sent to the media where the core BE is installed to be written onto storage media.  This is why even on the media server, there is a copy of the RAWS installed.