cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec crashes server - possible deadlock condition

pmurphy
Level 2
 SBS 2003, Backupexec 11d

I received an error on Monday stating there was a possible deadlock condition and that the system was unable to write to the MFT. I was able to get past the login prompt but got locked at a gray screen at that point. At the time I didn't see anything I thought was relevant in the system event log. This problem has occurred again as of today (Wednesday). This time the server was completely locked up. Here is what I've been able to ascertain so far.

Preceding the system freeze, event ID 1013 shows up in the event log with source W3SVC.

A process serving application pool 'DefaultAppPool' exceeded time limits during shut down. The process id was '8524'.

Task manager shows that PID 8524 is W3PW.exe which appears to be an IIS process. I've also seen online that the "possible deadlock condition" error often relates to IIS application pool issues. We've recently had problems with Symantec Backupexec 11d failing nightly backups on a few occassions. The most recent failure contains the following information in the job log.

Errors
Click an error below to locate it in the job log
Backup- E: DataSnapshot provider error (0x46B): A potential deadlock condition has been detected.
Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.
V-79-57344-37907 - Snapshot error during backup. Set has been canceled.

Clicking on the error brings me to this section of the log as shown below:

V-79-57344-34108 - An unexpected error occurred when cleaning up snapshot volumes. Confirm that all snapped volumes are correctly resynchronized with the original volumes.

AOFO: Started for resource: "C:". Advanced Open File Option used: Symantec Volume Snapshot Provider (VSP).
AOFO: Symantec Volume Snapshot Provider (VSP) snapshot cache file settings for volume "C:" : Initial: 0 MB. Maximum: 6832 MB. File: "\\?\Volume{2db743f7-6a1e-11dd-a207-001ec9cf4425}\Backup Exec AOFO Store\_BEVspCacheFile_13.VSP".
AOFO: Symantec Volume Snapshot Provider (VSP) snapshot settings used: Quiet Time: 5 seconds. Time Out: 2000 seconds.
Network control connection is established between 127.0.0.1:24512 <--> 127.0.0.1:10000
Network data connection is established between 127.0.0.1:20854 <--> 127.0.0.1:20853

Neither of the Symantec KB links for these 2 things seem to match the exact error. Could anyone help point me in the right direction?

Update: Over looked one link from the Backupexec log.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/276343.htm

This does match one of the errors. Dell Open Manage is installed but it's version 5.4.

I've set up the exception for Symantec AV as detailed. As an interesting note, the VSP file detailed does not exist in that hidden folder. At least not yet I suppose. I'll try running the backup to see if I can reproduce the problem.

Update 2:

This crashed the server again. It locked completely.
3 REPLIES 3

chicojrman
Level 6
Well normally when I see the dead lock error it's because something has a hold on the cache file and we aren't able to delete it. Normally I see it's AV software and you will have to go into the AV software to exclude the AOFO Cache file directory on each directory.

chicojrman
Level 6
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/273983.htm

pmurphy
Level 2
 I did setup the exclusion for Symantec and it's still crashing. I went into the properties of the job and looked under advanced open file. It's currently set to automatically select open file technology and the "process logical volumes for back up one at a time" is option is checked. Is it possible that AOFO is not being used, hence the lack of any VDB file in that directory? Should I select this manually?